What to do first? 22,000 gal AGP/ Pump 1 1/2 hp use bleach as sanitizer

Beth222

May 30, 2017
Stillwater, ok.
Opened my AG pool today. Filling with water to skimmer level. water is green dirt on the bottom. Should I vacuum to waste each time ? I do not think there is any algae growing on the sides of the pool. What water tests do I want to start with? Cya is important when adding the bleach is this what I want to concentrate with first?
Run the pump 24/7 until the water is clear

Re: What to do first? 22,000 gal AGP/ Pump 1 1/2 hp use bleach as sanitizer

Got a test kit? Please test and report to us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We'll help you know what to put in and why. Until then add a gallon of plain bleach and brush.

Maddie :flower:

I concur: test first.

If your CYA is too high, you'll want to replace some water, so vacuuming to waste will take care of two problems at once. If CYA is okay, then just vacuum up the visible dust and let the filter catch it. Backwashing a sand filter uses a lot less water than vacuuming to waste. This is why testing is the first step - so you can make logical, informed decisions.

These are my results using the TF -100 kit
FC - 0
PH- 8.2
TA- 70
CYA- 40. Room temperature
the pool is almost full.
what should I do first. Bring PH down.
I am wanting to avoid vacuuming to waste if I can at this point.
thank you,
beth

Bring down pH. Are you sure there is are no leaves on the bottom? If so, once the pH is corrected, go ahead and SLAM.

The pool is almost full
Here are my readings
FC - 0
TA - 60
PH - 7.5
CYA - 20
there is no debris on the floor of pool. Just a little dirt
There is some algae just around the diameter of the pool. The center of the pool is much cleaner. Bluish green tint.can see the bottom of the pool
will add baking soda to increase TA
will add stabilizer to get the numbers up to 40
what do I need to concentrate on first

The pool is almost full
Here are my readings
FC - 0
TA - 60
PH - 7.5
CYA - 20
there is no debris on the floor of pool. Just a little dirt
There is some algae just around the diameter of the pool. The center of the pool is much cleaner. Bluish green tint.can see the bottom of the pool
will add baking soda to increase TA
will add stabilizer to get the numbers up to 40
what do I need to concentrate on first
My suggestion is to add enough stabilizer to raise CYA to 30, and then immediately add bleach to get to 12 FC. And keep it at 12 FC until it passes the three tests. It's all in the SLAM Process.

You've got algae. Forget everything else - kill that algae. It will only get worse as the water warms up. Nobody cares if your test results are perfect if the water is green and cloudy. Swimmers want crystal clear water.

Thank you.
will work on getting the cya level to 30
should I go ahead a put in a few gallons of bleach while reaching 30?
when I took the cya reading it was straight from the pool. I did not wait for it to reach room temp. Will this cause much of a variance with the reading.
thank you,
beth

Thank you.
will work on getting the cya level to 30
should I go ahead a put in a few gallons of bleach while reaching 30?
when I took the cya reading it was straight from the pool. I did not wait for it to reach room temp. Will this cause much of a variance with the reading.
thank you,
beth
If the water is very cold, it can make it read low. You can let the sample warm up by putting it in the sun in a window or something. Don't wait to add bleach. Even if you're unsure of the CYA, you can take it to 10FC until you are sure of the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oops, I got the names confused.
here are my latest numbers
FC - 5. Adding more chlorine
CC - 0
PH 7.5
CYA - 20. Using pool math and already putting in the recommended amount of stabilizer.
the pool is not crystal clear yet. Pump has been running only for 16 hours thus far. I have swept and vacuumed pool floor.
helped quite a bit.
my question is if I understand this since theCC is 0 does this mean there is no algae present? Do I still need to slam?
thank you,

Oops, I got the names confused.
here are my latest numbers
FC - 5. Adding more chlorine
CC - 0
PH 7.5
CYA - 20. Using pool math and already putting in the recommended amount of stabilizer.
the pool is not crystal clear yet. Pump has been running only for 16 hours thus far. I have swept and vacuumed pool floor.
helped quite a bit.
my question is if I understand this since theCC is 0 does this mean there is no algae present? Do I still need to slam?
thank you,
Sadly, no. You can have a green sludge pond and not show any CC. Less than .5 CC is only one of the tests to determine if the pool is algae free. The others are that the water is clear - and that means even after brushing - and that the overnight loss test is 1 or less.

If the water is clear, what you can do is take it to shock level and keep it there and just before bed, take a reading and take another before the sun hits the pool in the morning. That's an Overnight Chlorine Loss TestIf it passes, great! You let the FC drop and balance the rest in a day or two. If not, back up to shock level and off to work you go.

Thank you so very much for all of this great advice. I've had an AGPool since 2001. Over the years I have become very frustrated with running to the pool place to have the water tested only to be told something was to high or to low. Very rarely did I have everything in sync at the same time. Only after discovering this site last year did I find out the pucks and algecide etc was creating all this havoc. I enjoy testing my own pool water and I never have to dread receiving

Too much rain or opening the pool or too many swimmers etc. I get EXPERT ADVICE anytime I need it.and not a salesperson trying to sell me more junk. This site has saved me hundreds of dollars each season. Sometimes I would spend nearly 1,000 on chemicals. I bet they could hardly wait for me to enter their doors. My only regret is I did not find you all sooner.
THANK YOU.

How soon can I test chlorine levels after adding bleach.
is the best time to add bleach is before daybreak and dusk unless slamming
can't seem to bring up the CYA levels. Still between 20-30. I have added 42 oz of stabilizer sine April 22.
PH 7.5
FC 5

pool looks great. But I am loosing to much FC through the day
i am doing the overnight chlorine loss tonight.
i added 211 oz of bleach at 8 PM
will take a reading about midnight and again early morning.

Half an hour with the pump running should be enough time for any bleach to disperse and get mixed. You can ensure it's well mixed by brushing a little to set up some cross currents. It's not unlike stirring creamer into your coffee, just on a gigantic scale.

Not in a SLAM, add bleach whenever it's convenient for you. Just be sure the pump will be running for at least half an hour afterwards.

The pool looks great. after vacuuming up dead algae/dirt off the bottom it seems to come back. After vacuuming the bottom should I immediately backwash? How many hours should I run the pump each day and when is the best time of day to run the pump.
FC 7
PH 7.5
CYA 40
TA 70
thsnk you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.