Help finding a heater for Intex pool

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I've become a pool junkie in the last two months. I am planning to buy an 18' x 42" pool for the next several years and then graduate to either a 48" or 52" - likely always taking it down in the off-season. Nonetheless, I want to extend the Nebraska swimming season as much as reasonably possible. Right now I'm thinking I want more heating ability than the solar panels allow. Here is a unit on our craigslist -- anyone know anything about whether it would be easily added on an Intex pool? I will definitely upgrade the pump next year when I get this "bigger" pool -- probably to whatever pump you guys tell me to get. While I am now fairly comfortable with the water balancing part of pool ownership, I have absolutely no comfort on any of the mechanical parts. I don't want to fall for this heater if it won't be a good fit for a temporary pool. It is a lot of money, but if it would raise the pool to 88 degrees or so, on command, and would work a bunch of seasons, seems worth it to me. Here's the guy's description -- any thoughts

"Connor, It is a ASME Certified 400,000 BTU Pentair Electronic Ignition heater. Comes w/ a exhaust stack. It is Approx 3-4 years old. The ASME is the important part, it means it is commercial, and built heavy duty, hand inspected at the factory. It would work fine for above ground, as long as your pump is decent. It would heat it very fast. It came out of a well kept commercial pool and was indoors. I would take $565."

:shock: 400,000 BTU'S?? :shock:

On a pool your size that would be WAY overkill. I have a 200,000 BTU on my 33' round pool I am putting up. I guess if the price is right, and you are going to upgrade to a really big pool it would be worth it.

Dan

Dan, thanks for the input. Couple follow-up Q's if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell from his description if it is natural gas or propane? Just the starter is electric, I think - is that how you read it? I'm so clueless on this :oops:
2. Any ideas on how much it would cost to run?
3. Would I turn it off most of the day and just start it up a few hours before I want in the pool?
4. When he says it would work for me if I had a "decent" pump, do you think that means a similarly oversized pump -- ie, a ton of money for a pump WAY bigger than I need, or just a pump that is slightly oversized. I would be planning to get at least a 2500 gph pump for my 42" x 18' pool I plan for next year. My understanding is that is "overkill" but not ridiculously so -- and is only $125 or so for the Intex. Certainly open to other brands, but would want to keep it under $300 if possible for a pump with cartridge filter.
5. I just have the pump sitting in the grass right now. Would I need an actual equipment pad for the heater? Would I have to run a gas line such that the heater would not be detachable at the end of season when I take the pool down?

If it would work for me for four or five years, the $150 or so per year is way worth it to extend not only the season but the swimming day. Right now even when the water is 84 degrees, my three year olds need to come out once the sun quits hitting the pool directly -- one is just tiny with NO body fat -- so we are out by 6:30 even on the few hot days we've had this summer and can't get in until the real heat of the day.

Thanks for any additional guidance -- while it is worth it financially if it works, I definitely don't have that kind of money to just give away if it won't work at all.

crek31 said:
Dan, thanks for the input. Couple follow-up Q's if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell from his description if it is natural gas or propane? Just the starter is electric, I think - is that how you read it? I'm so clueless on this :oops:
2. Any ideas on how much it would cost to run?
3. Would I turn it off most of the day and just start it up a few hours before I want in the pool?
4. When he says it would work for me if I had a "decent" pump, do you think that means a similarly oversized pump -- ie, a ton of money for a pump WAY bigger than I need, or just a pump that is slightly oversized. I would be planning to get at least a 2500 gph pump for my 42" x 18' pool I plan for next year. My understanding is that is "overkill" but not ridiculously so -- and is only $125 or so for the Intex. Certainly open to other brands, but would want to keep it under $300 if possible for a pump with cartridge filter.
5. I just have the pump sitting in the grass right now. Would I need an actual equipment pad for the heater? Would I have to run a gas line such that the heater would not be detachable at the end of season when I take the pool down?

If it would work for me for four or five years, the $150 or so per year is way worth it to extend not only the season but the swimming day. Right now even when the water is 84 degrees, my three year olds need to come out once the sun quits hitting the pool directly -- one is just tiny with NO body fat -- so we are out by 6:30 even on the few hot days we've had this summer and can't get in until the real heat of the day.

Thanks for any additional guidance -- while it is worth it financially if it works, I definitely don't have that kind of money to just give away if it won't work at all.

I believe it's Nat Gas. I believe it's too much for any Intex pool, but I could be wrong. It's for certain too big for any Intex type pump. Yes, if you had a heater installed it has to be a permanent install, buried gas line, to a paver or cement pad.

I have a 125,000 btu gas heater on my pool, and it more than does the job. That heater is just too big for what you have in mind (also a quick google search yield some not so favorable reviews for reliability, etc., it's possible that one has some issues and is why they are selling it.... :wink:

I think if you got the right solar set up, and combined it with a solar cover, you would be successful at extending the season....

FPM - you convinced me not to be too eager on this, even though I still think it might be a steal (since new ones of much lower btu's are still twice as much money). I do plan to pursue a good pump and cheapest possible heater for my future pools. If anyone has tricked out an Intex seasonal pool with a natural gas or heat pump heater, please post details and impressions including what you have done for a pump. This is a good time for me to look at doing this since I'm tearing up the yard anyway to put in a new patio --- running a gas line is pretty do-able. Looking to spend the minimum possible to get good equipment (pump, filter, heater) to keep a 5500 gallon or so at 90 degrees.

Have you considered adding insulation around the pool wall?

I run 4 solar panels (going bigger next year, probably to 6) and 300' of black pipe (my diy heater attempt).

If we have 4 days in the high 80's, I can keep it at 84 or above (minimum) with this system and a good solar cover to keep the heat in at night. I usually lose 4-6 degrees over night when it's getting colder (it was 45 last night).

When we have a week above 90, I've seen the pool hit 95 degrees (when the nights are in the 50's.)

When I build my deck around the pool, I'm planning on insulating the sides (not sure how yet) to minimize heat loss that way.

I would think you'll spend a lot of money going propane or NG. It probabaly depends on how long you're looking to extend the season.

There are lots of options for diy-ing the solar stuff. You can build "heat boxes" around the solar systems with old windows, put them on rotating poles so you can max out the exposure during the day, etc. But, minimizing heat loss is the hardest part.

Good luck!

Beartooth -- thanks for the input. This was probably an exceptionally bad first summer to gauge pool usage since it has been so cold. I think we have had two good swimming days all of August (although my kids are admittedly pretty wimpy about swimming in "cold" water). To make it worth the effort of having a pool in the yard I think we need to be able to get it to 85 or 95 degrees on demand, hopefully from May through mid-September. Still hoping someone will speak up with good cheap small heaters that might be appropriate. Thanks again!

I hear ya. We've been in the same boat with the cooler summer. In previous years, I have seen it over 90 just with the solar system. This summer, at least for the last month, it's been 78-80 max. One of the girls will swim in that, but one won't. You can tolerate it on a hot sunny day, but really, 84-86 is ideal for that kind of day and to be comfortable.

I'll be taking some steps next year to insulate and add solar btu's. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck with your search!

Took me a long time to commit to doing anything, but ultimately bought a Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 cupro-nickel heater, along with Pentair pump and cartridge filter. I am told I have a set up nice enough for a new IG. Just yesterday, the heater was finally put into service -- there is a lot to coordinate to get it up and going. Had gas line run to side of house where heater was to be ($1000 ish). Had electrician run power to pool pad (bill not here yet -- scared). Electrician also added new panel in house - you may or may not have to do this (can't recall cost, but not free!). Had plumber hook it up to house (just got bill - another $910!). Then you need to find a competent pool person (unless you are DIY and I am NOT) to plumb it and show you how to use it. Trouble here is my local pool store people would not be involved (even if I bought from them) because they thought it was unsafe on an Intex. Folks around TFP assured me there is no inherent safety issue, and I persisted and found some sort of freelance pool guy who after lots of missed "appointments" finally showed up and did the job. Have not seen his bill yet . . . so I'm just saying to beware of the costs that quickly mount up above and beyond the purchase price of the heater itself.
We basically decided to skip a Disney vacation to fund the pool - hoping that over time we will get way more hours of family fun this way. (don't tell DH, but Disney is on next year's calendar!)

Started with hose water (62 degrees) yesterday about noon and by 6 pm it was about 82 I think. It was on and off for a bit though, as I took time out to vacuum leaves that had accumulated waiting for the plumbing, so still not sure on how long rises will take. Turned it off at 85 degrees last night and popped on solar cover. Went out this morning and it was 83.

Would I do it again? Probably, but I won't really know until I know if I get five full seasons of warm-on-demand water. If it conks out earlier, I'd have to say it is not worth the overall cost. Again, don't look at just the cost of unit -- you have to factor in the "others" necessary to get it installed and operational.

Having first pool playdate in an hour. Water will be 90ish by then, I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husband recently found a solar heater for these pools. Once he lets me know where it comes from I will post it. Just filling the pool in MN. Until I get one I'll use the hose from the laundry room. Had to get the 14 year old Bieber tickets and it sucked up my pool budget! Nancy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.