LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
After reading about people using skimmer socks I decided to try one...

FREAKING AMAZING the amount of junk it catches. I didn't think there would be much of anything caught in there, but WHOA! :shock:

I'm sold on it. Also no longer have to unweave hair and bug legs out of the holes in the skimmer basket :goodjob: Just have to remember to check it regularly.

kilika2003 said:
After reading about people using skimmer socks I decided to try one...

FREAKING AMAZING the amount of junk it catches. I didn't think there would be much of anything caught in there, but WHOA! :shock:

I'm sold on it. Also no longer have to unweave hair and bug legs out of the holes in the skimmer basket :goodjob: Just have to remember to check it regularly.

This is especially true in the mid-spring/early summer when you're getting pollen and all kinds of other stuff from trees and vegetation. I usually check mine 2-3 times a day during this time period.

Love them.

I've seen (and tried) a few different kinds. Some are very fine (like a T-shirt) and they do catch everything., Pollen, very small things etc. I love them.

Previously, I used to use one of my wifes old nylons over the skimmer basket. They worked but were'nt "fine enough" to work as good as the skimmer socks. (Good in a pinch though).

I've also tried a few kinds from Ebay that were a fine material but were kind of "plastic" instead of a fabric type of material. Worked ok but not as well as the other type. The last ones I bought were called scum socks and I really like them.

They come 5 to a pack and I've used the same one all year and it's still in perfect shape.

You're right though, you have to check them often and make sure they are clean.

I'm a great believer in skimmer socks - use them all season long. They're invaluable in the spring - you wouldn't believe how much pollen ends up in your pool until you remove the sock and find a snowball-sized, brownish clump of what resembles fine cellulose - on a daily basis for a full month or so, mind you. They also excel at catching cottonwood seeds. I live in the Saint Louis area, where cottonwoods are common. Our subdivision is ringed by a ravine thick with them.

I mainly use the regular, white cloth socks, but I also use BioGuard Skim-Mor socks. These are blue in color when new - the color is due to a coating of mycelx, a compound that was developed for use in cleaning up oil spills, as well as water filtration. They attract all kinds of volatiles and oils - including lotions and sunblock. I use them when I expect heavy bather loads, but also use them generally though July and August when the sun is intense and sunblock usage is intense. Mind you, you'll still experience some scum build-up along the waterline, because some of the lotions and sunblock will adhere to the pool walls before being drawn into the skimmer. They're more expensive than regular skimmer socks, but I truly believe they prevent most of that stuff from making its way to the filter (sand in my case). Oily residue and calcium build-up are two of the most common causes of impaired sand filtration.

Now that I think of it, I probably spend more on skimmer socks than any other chemical or maintenance item during the season. The only other things I use are salt (SWG), calcium chloride, CYA, bleach, baking soda, dry acid and vinyl cleaner (for the scum along the waterline) - and, at closing, polyquat and marine antifreeze. I generally don't add much, if any, calcium chloride, CYA or baking soda after opening, but I do go through a few 7-lb jugs of dry acid/pH minus each season. I am thinking of trying muriatic acid to keep my pH in check next season (pools w/ SWGs, or salt water chlorine generators, exhibit pH rise due to the aeration caused by hydrogen outgassing) but dry acid is convenient and - in my opinion - less worrisome from a safety perspective.

I really need to keep track of my chemical and maintenance expenses next season. I'd probably be surprised at how much (relatively) I spend on those items, as well as replacement reagents for my Taylor K-2006. But since I avoid pool store chems, do my own testing, maintenance & cleaning and open/close myself, I figure my seasonal costs are much less than those of the typical pool owner. The only time I shop at a pool store is when buying Skim-Mor socks, and I have to concentrate to avoid rolling my eyes when listening to some of the advice they dole out to unwitting pool owners. That's not meant to sound condescending - it's a testament to what I've learned at TFP and The Pool and Spa Forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.