liner sucked in around return jet

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Last season, we noticed water levels that lowered, and problems vacuuming, so figured theres a leak somewhere in the system (which we're about to start inspecting areas now that we're getting ready to open. We noticed the liner seems to be sucking into and wrinkling around the edges of the jet return. What might cause this?? Is it possible to remove the water return jet and smooth out the liner, then reattach the jet?? But even if that's possible, we first need to figure out what caused this in the first place! Thanks for your help!

dbtgallery.php

Looks to me the walls sank and cause the wrinkling around the jets. Do you have the same happening at the skimmer?

Do you use a tab feeder?

It looks like low ph and chlorine damage from tabs while the system is off.

Also, when the water gets lowered, the liner can bunch up like that because the water isn't pushing down on the liner as much as when it's full. The liner can shrink as tension is removed.

This is especially true when the liner goes in tight and is stretched out as the water fills up.

Is there a cove where the wall and floor meet or does the liner fit with minimal stretch?

I'll check around the skimmer cmiller73. JamesW, the liner was bunching up last season. We didn't have a chance to figure out the problem before we closed it. So the pool was full and operational when we first noticed the liner getting sucked in like that. The liner at the base of the pool where it meets the wall (cove area?) appears to be flush, not sticking out away from the sides, at least it was at season end last year. Hard to know for sure without getting in to the pool. We use a tab feeder occasionally during times we'll be gone for a few days, but as a rule, it's just bleach. How does the tab feeder cause this type of damage (esp when you say system is off)? And the Ph is generally more on the alkaline side vs acidic.

If you have tabs in a feeder and the system is off, the tabs continue to dissolve and the water becomes very acidic and highly chlorinated.

The water migrates out from the feeder and damages anything nearby.

How close is the feeder to the return?

Has the feeder ever had tabs in it while the system was off?

It didn't winter with tabs in it. But I'm sure over the years there have been periods where there might have been tabs in but it's off. But for the most part, we don't keep tabs in in unless we're using it to chlorinate while away. But, that said, I don't think it's a high Cl level we deal with. We never have that problem. Its the opposite problem for the most part. But if that were the problem, how would that make the liner suck into the valve? It seems more like some sort of a vacuuming/suction/plumbing issue, but I don't know what that would be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a picture of the tab feeder to show how close it is to the return?

When I am talking about low pH and high chlorine levels, I mean specifically and immediately near the return due to concentrated chlorine from the tab feeder.

At low pH, the liner puckers up like that. And, you can see some bleaching around the return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.