South Florida - New In-ground Large Build

I am seriously considering owner/builder. I just can' t swallow the fact that all these builders make soooooo much money by making phone calls. It' all about the subs....i am going to go to each sub, give them the plans and have them quote it.....then I will want 3 jobs they have going.....first in the beggng phase....2nd during build and third end of build. I will then make my decision on who to use.
Engineers visit went great. The y guy is awesome....Him and I were on the same page with pretty much everything.
He talked me out of the lamiar jets....said they just plain don' work with the smallest amount of wind.
anyone who can confirm or deny this?

After been at the end of our build, I completely agree with you. Pb make such a huge amount from basically coordinating things. You could probably do a better job of that yourself. I think the main concern is warranties and who is responsible if things go wrong. If you had written, binding warranties from each contractor I think you would be covered. Would not be good to have a problem and each party trying to pass the buck to another.

Once you start talking to the trades you will find they all know each other. Ask this one who they would use for xx job, Then ask that one who they would use for YY job and go from there. I call it pulling strings-they all lead to the best most of the time.

Kim:kim:

What?? You mean this??????????????

Overhead Rendering.jpg

I was just working on it and relooking at it to make sure I liked it.

W=wide angle return as seen here: Push-In Slip Pool Eyeball - Slotted - White

r=regular eyeball return that you can move and adjust: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1419D-Opening-Hydrostream-Directional/dp/B004VTGNGG

s=skimmer

The W wide angle returns I see as being very close to the bottom of the pool. My goal with them is to push any stuff that tries to hang out there out so the cleaner can get to it.

The regular circle returns I see as being in the towards the top of the wall were they "belong". Note there is one by the steps coming off the left side of the shelf. It is a little hard to see.

Let me know what you think!

Oh the waterfall light.....

I think with the 3 fire/water bowls, that the light you are showing me is not necessary. I like it, but with the bowls, the 2 bubblers on the shelf, and 2 deck jets..........I have enough features!!!!!

I think I am going to go with all Pentair equipment. Only Jandy piece will be the Heat Pump. Pentair does not have a option for a chiller in it. Jandy does....AND I NEED A CHILLER!!!! I hate hot pools and I believe if I go with a 3 1/2 ---5---3 1/2 depth, it is going to need a chiller during July August and September. Super hot here and this pool will be getting direct sun from 11 am until 4 pm....easily

Thoughts everyone???

Oh I thought those were water falls. Forgot they were fire/water bowls.............so yeah the lighted waterfall would over kill for sure!

I am going to check with my pump expert to see what he says about a good pump for the returns. That IS a lot of them when you go counting all of them.

You WILL want a chiller down there for sure. Your water bowls will also help cool it off some but nothing like a chiller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK....we finally have an engineer and he put the layout for the pool to CAD. Please take a look at it and give ideas, concerns, anything you would do different, etc. I really want to get this right, so please - don't hold any punches. It diffenately is a large pool, but it does fit the area involved as you can see from the layout. There will be plenty of decking around the pool and lots of places to "hang out". Depth is 3'6" - 4'11" - 3'6". This way people can kneel and hang out around the edges. Have not even got to return locations, skimmers, etc. yet!
Just looking for comments on the overall design and measurements........Take a look back at the beginning of thread to refresh you memory and see additional pictures.

pool layout for web.jpg

Well welcome back! You have been busy!! Nice job. Now lets get started back to work!

How deep will your shelf be? What kind of "rise" will the steps/benches have coming off the shelf into the pool area?

I looked back at my return set up and I sure did to overboard with the returns. You could delete a couple of the regular returns that are right by the wide returns.

You say he says you could use one pump for the returns and Jacuzzi. I am guessing this is because they will not be run at the same time most of the time? It is all going to be in how it is run and "valved" to make sure there is enough power for everything.

I am trying to get everything to size up properly. We a looking for 6" of water on the sun shelf. That should give enough water for the bubblers to work, and enough to keep you wet. The second step will be the sitting shelf for the sun deck area and the bench set for the open Jacuzzi area. We want the water height to be about 18" for that. And i guess the other shelf on the other side of the pool will be a 18" water height also.

Ok, if i am thinking of this correctly.....

I ultimately want the distance from waterline to coping to be between about 2"
Sundeck will be 6" of H2O ---- which gives me a 8" step into the pool....
-----The maximum depth of a step is 10", right?
Then, the second step/bench will be a 10" drop, followed by the last step at 10"
That gives me the 18" depth needed at the second step/bench.

The step out on the other side will have the 18" of water also. I believe that is allowable (but i will check).

All will ultimately be adjustable +/- a couple of inches with water level at the skimmers (so I will make sure they are placed so waterline is at the half way distance of skimmers)

Sound right

That does sound right. What I am thinking of is for you to think of this....house steps are 7.5" rise. so 10" is bigger. Play with it using block or wood and see if you might want to put a small stepper to decrease the rise for later in life or if someone had a bum knee or hip.

copy that.....i will mess with it. The measurements of the pool are not finalized....I laid it out in the yard and it looks awesome. I work tomorrow but will take a picture of it for you friday morning. Once I finalize the measurements.....we go to step 2:
detailed plans that include steel, plumbing, pumps, returns, elect, etc.

20180601_121340.jpg20180601_121557.jpg20180601_121458.jpg20180601_121659.jpg20180601_121718.jpg20180601_121748.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So here are the views of the "mock-up"....Some people are telling me it is toooooo big. I don't think so. If you look at the placement it just seems to fit.....Measurements are in previous posts.....

The interior views are what you would see walking in the front door and in the living room/kitchen areas.

OK EVERYONE......I need input!!!!! This is Last Call!!!!! Going to have to make changes (if any) this weekend, and have the layout approved for next step Monday.

So Please chime in!!!

Thanks - John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.