South Florida - New In-ground Large Build

****all lights will be on the house side to avoid glares****

Some random thoughts on pool lights.

One of the things I don't like about my light you've already got covered.

The other: I don't particularly like swimming in my pool with the light on, like I was some kind of specimen being observed under a bright light. I do enjoy being able to shift the colors with my multi-color LED, but I mostly use that to dim the amount of light. Subtle red or blue while I'm in the water, and brighter green or white when I'm not, and want to see my pool lit up. Of the five "light shows" my LED can muster, I only like one (the most subtle one).

Another guy here is having issues with the way his bottom looks when lit. Because it's not perfectly flat. I don't think you've mentioned what finish you're considering. His is vinyl, and the sand bottom has some bumps in it. But pebble and plaster finishes are subject to this issue, too, because they are hand troweled, so not perfectly flat. I was surprised, and slightly disappointed, when I first turned on my light at night on my brand new surface, and saw similar lumps and bumps in my pool, but I was told this is as good as it gets with a plaster surface. So I've embraced the lumps, others struggle with this.

Anywho, point was, that this "textured" bottom is exaggerated by the angle of the pool light, being so low, the shadows created by the low-mounted light source really makes the lumps pop. You don't see this in the day, because the light is overhead, and ambient, so the shadows don't exist. If you have more lights, this will be somewhat obscured. If they're all on the same side, then maybe not so much.

So yes, shining the lights away from your seating and windows, is good, but doesn't solve for when you're in the water. And might not solve the lumpy issue (which may or may not bother you). I already mentioned dimmers for the "harshness" factor. I found this on google to solve for this other guy's lumps, but wasn't sure if he could install it "after market" so to speak.

How amazing would this look on your pool?!?

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.29.06 PM.jpg

If I could, this is how I'd light my pool, and I'd find an LED light strip that could generate multiple colors, and one that could be dimmed (if such a thing exists). And this would solve for where to put the lights for coverage or glare, because it's 100% coverage and no glare (depending on light strip and how it's mounted, of course).

Not to mention, like having no drains, this lighting idea would require no visible fixtures you'd have to stare at, on or off.

Pool lighting has come a long way since the single, ugly white incandescent fixture at one end. Google "pool lighting" or "pool coping lighting," then click the "Images" button, for some ideas about what's possible now. Then go check your wallet!

Nice layout, but for me and safety, I would not want that many 90º angles. Just increase the water real state and keep a straight line on the back of the pool. The robot will have less of a hard time cleaning those 90º.

Felipe

Nice layout, but for me and safety, I would not want that many 90º angles. Just increase the water real state and keep a straight line on the back of the pool. The robot will have less of a hard time cleaning those 90º.

Felipe

Felipe,

It's all those rectangles that make that design so cool. Any other robot owners think those extra corners will be an issue?

What are your safety concerns for the extra corners?

Sharp edges that someone playing might get hurt. Maybe paranoid, but better safe than sorry. I have a rectangular pool and my house is Modern Contemporary so it goes nice with the design.

Felipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so it stopped raining....

I hope we all can figure out orientation......

See what you think and let me know!

Attachments

• 20180423_173513.jpg
    20180423_173513.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 20180423_173518.jpg
    20180423_173518.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 20180423_173523.jpg
    20180423_173523.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 20180423_173539.jpg
    20180423_173539.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 20180423_173553.jpg
    20180423_173553.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 20180423_173559.jpg
    20180423_173559.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 235
  • 20180423_173616.jpg
    20180423_173616.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 20180423_173630.jpg
    20180423_173630.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 20180423_173840.jpg
    20180423_173840.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 225
  • 20180423_173858.jpg
    20180423_173858.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 221
I have seen those led strips in person & they are super cheesy looking. If perimeter lighting is on the list, this is the rare instance I lean to fiber optic.

A light is a safety feature (and cool toy) for night swimming, both kids & adults need to see what they are jumping or swimming into to.

And if somebody gets into trouble, the quicker you see them the quicker you can help.

Look at all of the pretty, green grass you will not have to mow any more! LOL Will you try to take it up and reuse it somewhere?

You will have awesome views of the pool from inside the house! Well done!

Talk to me about the fence posts being in buckets???? Why? How will you "finish" it to hide them? You or someone dropped a few dimes on that pretty fence!

Kim:kim: (still working on the picture)

The fence.....designed and built by yours truly....
It is 14 gauge galvanized posts set in 12" diameter, 24" deep concrete....4 feet on center. The posts are powder coated and sealed at the bottom with tar (to prevent rusting)
1x2 rails made of 14 gauge galvanized steel. And the pickets are 6x6 cedar. All screwed in by self tappers (6400 screws in total!) The buckets are filled with rock. This will allow proper drainage water when the yard is brought to grade.
If you look at the fence...big gap where the buckets are....no gap on the other side. That fence is perfectly level. So when we grade, we will bring that area up. Fence will be at the proper 6' height this way. If i didn't do this, my neighbor and I would be starring at one another on pool day. The buckets and rock prevent the post from sitting in wet dirt (which causes the post to deteriorate faster). Last fence I should ever have to build!!!!

While on this subject.....anyone good with french drains? Or drainage in general????

LED Lights for Pool.....I think they are nice, but I prefer the in pool ones. I have led through out my house and am constantly having issues with them. I can just imagine what they would be like in a wet environment (waterproof or not). Thanks for giving me options though!!!!

Keep it coming folks!!!

Believe me I could tell it was level! You have mad skills!!! LOL on the 6400 screws :shock: Well done! I knew you had a plan to "finish" it up!

Okay so you want pool lights..........working on that. I have neat ideas for the returns in the different areas. Do you think you will be going with the swim out by the bathroom door? That is a pretty door!

Kim:kim:

I want "wide eye" returns inside all of the cut out towards the bottom to help push the dirt and such out of the area. The other returns should be the round eyeballs that can be moved around inside their ring to help you move the water. They will be placed on the upper part of the pool. They should be place as to move the water all the way around the pool to get anything into the skimmers.

I am at work and the pic I am working on is at home :(

LED Lights for Pool.....I think they are nice, but I prefer the in pool ones. I have led through out my house and am constantly having issues with them. I can just imagine what they would be like in a wet environment (waterproof or not). Thanks for giving me options though!!!!

I have some interior LED lights that are a pain. Others that are fantastic. Cheesy? Not sure what that meant, if the device looked cheesy, or its effect. One could certainly design a lighting system that produced cheesy, gaudy effects, for sure. I saw some with chasing, flashing, etc that would be awful. Which is why I only like the one, most subtle "show" of my LED. The rest just look to me like alternating colors just for the sake of alternating colors. Doesn't do anything for me. But a nice subtle glow around the entire perimeter of my pool, without glare from any angle, would be fantastic, to me, in or out of the pool.

No matter, no strips, got it. I have just the one Pentair LED. But their literature describes how more than one LED can be setup to produce lighting effects in concert with each other. I have no idea how that all looks or works (and might be just as "cheesy!"), just pointing out that such a thing exists and might be something to look into if you're interested in that sort of thing...

Good luck at the engineer's!

Yes - gaudy is a good word for those strips in pool perimeter. Overbearing effect.

Ha, yes, pools or cars shouldn't look like this!

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.31.12 AM.jpg

What intrigued me about the under-coping lights is the same thing I love about my under-counter LED light strips. I don't like shadows. I don't like looking at a light source (like the bulbs in my ceiling cans in my kitchen and living room, awful), and I don't much like looking at a cone of light emanating from a single bulb. I like ambient light, and I'd love for my pool to be lit that way. No shadows, can't see where the light is coming from. Just all evenly lit.

Can the fiber optic stuff do that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.