Hello from TN!

venusflyer

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2007
Lebanon, TN
I found this site from the PF site and nearly jumped up and down with joy when it actually let me register!
My husband and I will be putting in an AG pool within a year, so I am here to do massive research! I will try to read the threads so as not to ask any stupid questions, but would like to know what kind of AG pool everyone (or some of you) has?

Thank you in advance for your very insightful help!!!

Welcome.

Another refugee..

We recently put in a 15X30 Cantar Estate II purchased from a local pool store. It's only been a couple months, but we're happy with it.

My advice is you don't have to settle for a pre-packaged pump and filter combination. Research and assess your needs based upon your unique situation. But as a general rule... Get a bigger filter and a smaller pump. Don't fall for the free upgraded pump sales trick. Match the flow rate to your filter, and if given a choice between two HP's, the lower HP is usually the better choice.

Good Luck.

Hi and welcome to the group.

You are a smart cookie to research and find these forums. You'll have a much better experience than many have, because you'll know exactly what to do to keep your pool sparkling clear all the time.

Hi! welcome to TFP!

You are off to a great start, doing your reasearch BEFORE you spend your money. So many poor folks find us after the fact, and by that time are really disillusioned.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked! We don't have a huge library of AG info yet, so ask away!

Hey Venusflyer..I am right up the road from you in Gordonsville. I have a 24'x52" round pool that I bought at Watsons. I was pretty happy with the install, I had a few leaks around the skimmer and returns and they had someone out the next day taking care of it. That was 7 years ago and my pool is holding up well. At the time I purchased mine I looked at Pool and Spa depot and just was turned off by the sales staff and of course they pushed baquagoo which you need to stay WAY away from.

Keep doing your research because they (any pool store in Nashville) will try to sell you a filter package. I ended up switching from a cartridge filter to a sand filter because cleaning the cartridge was just a pain for me. I have been much happier with my sand filter. Try to find a 3/4 hp pump because they will sell you a 1 1/2 hp and that is just too much. Also try to get a 2 speed pump to help out on electricity usage.

Aldi in Lebanon has bleach for 89 or 99 cents there all of the time.

Keep reading and follow the advice of these wonderful people and your soon to be pool will stay clean and crystal clear!!

Good Luck,
JD

Thanks JD!
Yes, Watson's is near the top of the list. We actually looked at the pool and spa depot in cookeville...they are MUCH better than the one in Nashville, and their BBB (better business bureau, not the other BBB!) record was a LOT better! They have a few pools we liked too.
I will definitely do more research and get what I want, thanks! Little will they know that I will come loaded with knowledge! Sorry salesmen... no taking advantage of us! :)
I'm glad to hear your pool is still doing well after 7 years and Watson's fixed everything right away. That makes me feel a little more confident about them. What brand pool did you get?

Thanks again! You people are full of the best knowledge! :wink:

-Rachel

venusflyer,
When we bought our pool, the pool and spa depot in Cookeville did not exist yet, but I have been there to get pool parts a few times. I have butted heads a few times with the manager (he is a cool and knowledgeable guy from England) over the BBB way of life because they are a Baq dealer. I used to open and close a Baq pool in Cookeville for my mom's boss, but they have moved, and I wished I had all of the money they spent on that stuff because their pool was never real clear even though I dumped the sand out of the filter every year.

I'm not sure which model of pool we have. We didn't get the cheapest one but it wasn't most expensive either. It was in the mid-price range (around $3000) which included installation, and everything but the 7 tons of sand which we actually got from the concrete place in Smithville delivered (they were cheaper than our local concrete supply in carthage only 5 miles away).

There are people on this board who don't care for the stainless steel panels (like the ones that come with the Watsons pool) but I haven't had any problems with mine and I also like having 2 returns (so you can add a fountain and still have circulation too).

Either pool store you go with, I believe, will be fine. Watson's will probably be a little cheaper just from the shear volume they do. Pool and Spa have higher end pools but will try to sway you to Baq, but you know better than that!!

Good Luck with your decision and if I can help let me know,
Thanks
JD

Hey JD,

We bought our pool from Watson's as well, and like you, have nothing but good things to say about their service department. The only complaints I have is they sold me a 2HP pump when a 1 HP or smaller would've been better, and of course they don't subscribe to the BBB method or to running your pump less than 24 hours a day, but then again, they also sell pumps and pool chemicals, so I can't really blame them. We didn't do our research first like Rachel is doing; we had an Intex quick set the first year, and as I was killing grass in preparation for setting it up for the second year, we decided "we want a pool", so away to Watson's we went.. :lol: Thankfully they didn't take us to to cleaners completely.

Anyways, glad to see another Tennessean on here. :) Place was just getting overrun with Texans and Arizonan's.. :p

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike,
I didn't do any research before my purchase. When we had a bad experience at Pool and Spa we went right over to Watson's and got great service and bought the pool right away. I also did not know any better about pumps and filter so when they told me bigger is better I took it hook, line, and sinker. The first summer I had nothing but trouble because I was clueless about pool care. I bought whatever the pool store told me too. I luckily found poolsolutions and the BBB method, but was real skeptical, tried it, it worked, and works perfectly and have been using since then. I know Ben has gone AWOL, but his methods of running a pool works better than anything else that I have tried.

Venusflyer,
I was eating at Sonic right next door to Pool and Spa depot in Cookeville today and they do have some very nice pools setup. They seem to have some higher end pools, just watch the pump/filter combo they sell you. I would be curious how they contract out the pool installations too. Watsons seems to have a whole army of installers and they do a good job. There are 4 pools in my subdivision and Watsons has done them all and they are all nice.

I hope many more Tennesseans join this board and learn the BEST way of pool care!!

Good Luck!
JD

Attachments

• Water Testing Instructions 14pt.doc
    27 KB · Views: 1
Thanks guys! We are still in the planning stages and hope for our pool early season next year. :-D
I hope Pool and Spa Depot in cookeville can give me some references for their installation. Their rep (4 complaints) is about the same as the Watson's rep (6 complaints) on the BBB site (Better Business Bureau), but the Pool and Spa in Nashville has had 43 complaints over the last 3 years. :shock:
JD, it's funny you mention the salesman as the cookeville store pushing you on the Bacqua junk, they tried to give me that spill too, but I made it very clear "I don't want that Crud." I do know better!! :wink:
Watson's is still in the running, that's for sure. I just didn't like the salesman at Watson's we dealt with...he seemed too "pocketbook" motivated, if you know what I mean.

As far as pump and filter, I'm still a little in the shade on that...we are looking at getting a 33' or 36' round pool. I come to the conclusion that we would need a large pump and filter, but I have zero experience in buying pools. :roll: Of course, that is why I'm here!! 8)

JD,

I've heard lots of bad things about Pool & Spa Depot here, too. We didn't even go there for comparison shopping - went straight to Watson's. Of course, I was disappointed that the Watson's girl wasn't there..isn't that false advertising? :wink: I actually made it two years using an autochlorinator, spending $$$ on bacpac's and MPS, leaving my pump running 24/7. We had some problems with algae during year two, and this year, opened it up to a green swamp. After $$$ to get algae cleaned up w/ a copper based algaecide, and then having to use something to remove the copper, I thought "there has to be a better way". I found Ben's old site, and then this one, and have been trouble-free ever since. Best money I ever spent, becoming a lifetime supporter here.

Rachel - As you already know, you've come to the right place to get your questions answered. The folks here amaze me with the knowledge they have, and share freely with us.