Finally Blue...but cloudy/turbid

Jun 26, 2009
San Jose, CA
It's been quite a process getting to blue (and a lot of bleach), which I'm thrilled about, but FC didn't hold on my overnight test. FC was 18.5 last night and 15.5 at 7am this morning.

Do you suggest I hold the shock at 19? I originally had a shock target of 12 when I thought it was green algae, but discovered it must be mustard algae that was hard to get rid of so I've been targeting shock at 19....and it finally turned blue but is still cloudy. I can see to the second step at the pool entrance. There is a lot of sediment at the bottom and on the steps..is this normal after getting rid of all the algae? Is it the dead algae or could it be DE as well? I cleaned the filter last weekend and added new DE.

Due to the drop of 3ppm is morning, do you think the sediment is absorbing the FC or could there possibly still be some algae or other contaminants hiding causing the FC drop?

Stumped as what to do next. I would like to vaccum but I can't see the bottom. I could put the Turbo Shark in to clean the bottom to help.

Thanks....S

I think it's perfectly normal. You are close, but not quite done. Either vacuum the pool, use the cleaner or brush often to let the filter remove the dead algae. Stay the course on the chlorine, following the Chlorine/CYA chart to guide your shock level.

JohnT...thanks for the response. It's good to know I'm almost there. So I should keep it at the shock level until it holds on the overnight test? According to the Chlorine/CYA chart I can reduce the shock level to 10 or 12, as when last tested the CYA was 30 or lower...but that was taken before the high FC shock process. Would I get a valid CYA reading if I test it now? Also, my CYA tube goes to 30..how can I get a lower reading if necessary?

Thanks again,

S..

helppls said:
Also, my CYA tube goes to 30..how can I get a lower reading if necessary?

Almost impossible to measure low CYA. The turbidity isn't great enough to make it very accurate at those low levels.

Re: Question

I tried to return Fresh 'N Clear Oxidizing Shock, (Quick dissolving & fast acting chlorine-free Oxidizer (Potassium peroxymonosulfate 38%, Other ingred 62%) to the pool store I purchased it at, prior to starting on the BBB process. I was going to exchange it for liquid chlorine...I wasn't aware that their policy is not to accept returns on any chemical item purchased. My question is, will I ever be able to use these 1 lb packets along with my new process without throwing the balance off? Or is it just wasted money and a lesson learned?

Thanks.. s

You could in theory use it if you really wanted to. It's more useful for indoor pools or spas... It will register as CC on the chlorine test, for a few days after adding it.

It has a good shelf life, hang on to it, or if you have a lot, consider selling it on ebay or craigslist, or in the Coffee Bar section of TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.