All ports off for winterization

Hello gang,

I currently have a suction side setup of a skimmer and main drain line merging at a tee fitting before connecting to my pump inlet. Each feeder line has its own two-way valve.

I have found a problem with the very old gate valve on the skimmer line and am thinking about replacing that whole inlet side with a 3-way diverter valve. That would give me good control of the mix of the two suction feeds with one valve.

However, it is not clear to me that there is a position of the valve where you could turn all the ports off. I need this mode for winterization after I blow out the lines. Thus, the advantage of having individual 2-way valves on each feed to isolate. Is there a way that a 3-way Pentair or Jandy valve could block all ports for winterization or is that a bad idea?

Thanks.

Actually, yes, you can totally shut off a Jandy 3-way valve. By default, the valve has a stop so you can do one side, the other side, or both (or blend), but not off. But if you just unscrew the pastic wing-nut, you can move the valve to close off any of the ports.

This shows it closed off completely:
YXXZqff6UFfiI4ylRzCJM7Yk9xGrGQcdl7F6CBQSBvxKhwpT6zwbFgC6phk5IygmOiQ6oW9LI5D_F3bPfVdrUQoegphqmASyOtcDp0w6YidqyBS7NrUV_rEZTJPrq1BKHgnXjxtK6MGCLhUK1nr0MqGEHKlFyJysdb-mZdrX4JoSjkgK0Oe8mmxwUealFhGwWKCwBRvclflPS0OuKM_sKv46MiZmhmqHlQdXTZv56PZcsQG1qx9qNMOxyUyjL1PNj-Gq9FJNuJyRRxeU9JftBmV7NY9d7P9kfsiH_D19en7DpBrPYACr0JKbO3ri9g2uJXrdANqPj1tpxy8nUXnZDIurKn9axdbCfJQcSC59FiC1Lc_Kyg9Q0O_qEZ9hfsdVPz4cDfQfimGfn9LO8iDam5Q5K8JoqgHFgClO1kTHGXYk9gx27-E1AcKWBUqfvDstIQDVc64qvAF5yr7TXp0kB3w8w769bwekBxlnZdIlA04vUUYT-dmxmS1lcWesYYSzxPeT8hPgpz7WlGg1ms7dEgaKwmMnk_SBT_-jx7OqrsB1VjLPKK_fWskXs2b8MHCz0f1BfrGZg2SK6o5H0mBdRzoTK_oyeV6Es2q3dhD6Tp3DfqYeNyOphi5OQDHftYcPJcfOd6rPZffHCuA8qrkg5WChDicg6zB3=w1279-h960-no

FWjrvlMFi75sn8nqU9gOGxB3IoWeyyKCs9PimpIcxw7mkaARGUd6uNYxX6g1OtCgbbD9IFcogLKoAJASd5E_IniPUJBTSzjzkavvuIF4H5ZkqmLg1vsHH9BSlo2C5TEuhFMnPwtBkIMSq11DGVs3WCAxUFRfBieiMi2ywWAsFz5ZkpAWdqbh9bg6eo2uUxMld0Y1CkTQ3pbFfFANCeSQnzZ_wT23mPOyOFdM_KgwvMZyPIII2HyFbYC67HCewNCG-H3-_oxJissfk27F1aQN-WNv6ocxkD-zUL4A2loeNcP2yb7ETYGEO_jHM2KSZLCD21M7izRhiXL78DFtx20JdfUpNK-7ZSb141gCE_AQad26_wFrJCT9PnmhijXpSJJghfLFyZBpU96tvWRfyVDwCabNozFsTQmwCPSn5eyhF74oADF1tGQ3cwk_GC7cOyTz6wy-pQNwTTiPNW5C8lST3LGlgsSxl77D8Ey6H6TFyDniQ_-PCgEV7vwXHUBp1A18Vo82NKWqezTTXGCRfXgNPA7xSKw6lafeyRj8Ug9c3uWNcyg6XzciFQ5Xx4KUuLmzZrn37avlUAbtwyVuudgldd8q7aPvZYkIQVBtcB6RYdPwzYfml11Cr48EAb0nZMaGYUWTPyLeaigkMb4uHG5S7_8aH1cFCUDe=w720-h959-no

P,

PG is correct that you can shut off any opening, one port at a time... But since I don't "close" or winterize my pool, I do not have a clue if that will do whatever needs to be done to winterize... :confused:

I had assumed that you wanted to individually close each line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim and Poolgate,

Yes, I wanted to close off both the skimmer and main line for the winter using a 3 way diverter but I am learning that is not how they operate and that is fine. Typically what happens at the end of the season is I blow out each of those lines individually then close off the individual valve and plug the pool fitting. Then move to the next line and repeat. With the Jandy or Pentair 3 port diverter I think I could accomplish the same but it would be tricky.

First I would blow out all my pressure side components, heater, spa lines and inlets. Then on the suction side, I would first blow out the skimmer line, then put the Jandy in off for that port and plug the skimmer at the basket. The off position for the skimmer put the main drain open and ready for blowing it out. Once clear of water, then rotate the Jandy to lock off the main drain. Since the skimmer is now plugged at the basket and the pool water level is drained below the skimmer and inlets, that should seal that line even though the Jandy position is open for that port. And since there is no water in the filter, heater, etc on the pressure side, very little water should drain back into the skimmer line.

So I think it would work for winterizing as long as I get my order of operations right.

Paul

Hi Jim and Poolgate,

Yes, I wanted to close off both the skimmer and main line for the winter using a 3 way diverter but I am learning that is not how they operate and that is fine. Typically what happens at the end of the season is I blow out each of those lines individually then close off the individual valve and plug the pool fitting. Then move to the next line and repeat. With the Jandy or Pentair 3 port diverter I think I could accomplish the same but it would be tricky.

First I would blow out all my pressure side components, heater, spa lines and inlets. Then on the suction side, I would first blow out the skimmer line, then put the Jandy in off for that port and plug the skimmer at the basket. The off position for the skimmer put the main drain open and ready for blowing it out. Once clear of water, then rotate the Jandy to lock off the main drain. Since the skimmer is now plugged at the basket and the pool water level is drained below the skimmer and inlets, that should seal that line even though the Jandy position is open for that port. And since there is no water in the filter, heater, etc on the pressure side, very little water should drain back into the skimmer line.

So I think it would work for winterizing as long as I get my order of operations right.

Paul

Correct, do the skimmer first & you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.