BBB Method

Welcome to TroubleFreePool!

We used to promote the BBB method here, but our science has moved on to our current Trouble Free methodology (for example, it's rare that you need to add borax or baking soda to your pool - once it's properly stabilized, bleach and muriatic acid are usually all you need). Take a moment to read in Pool School and then feel free to ask any questions you'd like!

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Pool School - Recommended Levels

I had read of BBB before I came here and I thought it was a bit misleading. The one page I read mentioned BBB, but then made mention of Muratic acid and CYA. I don't see how BBB differs (much) than the TFP method using the Pool Math app and web page.
Maybe there is a page that already discusses the difference that the experts can link to?

With the Trouble Free methodology, what do you use to increase TA and pH? With BBB, I would use baking soda to increase TA and borax to increase pH. Somewhat confused between the two methods. I completely understand the bleach and muriatic acid use. Thank you.

BBB was discontinued as a name because people get confused and run out to buy a bunch of borax and baking soda that they may never need. We also saw people who were just dumping these in thinking that is what you did. Bottom line is the name was too generic and only added confusion. It still does.

So TFPC was introduced to specify the pool care taught here. It isn't just about using off the shelf chemicals as BBB implies. TFPC is about properly testing your water and knowing what your pool needs and what you are adding to the pool. It is about knowledge, and knowing that Alkalinity increaser is just marked up baking soda is part of that knowledge. If it helps, think of TFPC as an evolution of BBB rather than something completely different.

A similar situation arose when SLAM replaced the phrase "shock process".

BBB was discontinued as a name because people get confused and run out to buy a bunch of borax and baking soda that they may never need. We also saw people who were just dumping these in thinking that is what you did. Bottom line is the name was too generic and only added confusion. It still does.

So TFPC was introduced to specify the pool care taught here. It isn't just about using off the shelf chemicals as BBB implies. TFPC is about properly testing your water and knowing what your pool needs and what you are adding to the pool. It is about knowledge, and knowing that Alkalinity increaser is just marked up baking soda is part of that knowledge. If it helps, think of TFPC as an evolution of BBB rather than something completely different.

A similar situation arose when SLAM replaced the phrase "shock process".

Hmm, this is a good write up IMO to put into the pool school somewhere!

With the Trouble Free methodology, what do you use to increase TA and pH? With BBB, I would use baking soda to increase TA and borax to increase pH. Somewhat confused between the two methods. I completely understand the bleach and muriatic acid use. Thank you.

Areation to increase pH, baking soda to increase ta, most people do not need to increase ta regularly as we typically don't use pucks, we also don't need to raise pH much as we typically don't use pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.