Urgent! What to do about gap between coping and tile?

maa3

May 10, 2009
Durham NC
They started laying our travertine coping yesterday using mud and there is a 3/8-1/2 gap between the coping stone and the waterline tile (the tile has a wavy edge that's not helping either). They said that was the smallest they could get it. I was freeaking out yesterday and now I have kind of come to accept it although I am pretty upset about it. Has this happened to anyone?
I not not knowing much had assumed that they could use a thinner layer of thinset but they said it would not work (we are also doing the patio in 1 1/4" travertine set in mortar over concrete).

What product have you used to fill that area? Is there such thing as a sanded caulking that looks like grout but is out of a tube? I would prefer it to match the ivory travertine (so an antique white would work) . I read some things about deck-o-seal. Is that product appropriate even though it's not cantelivered coping?

Also what color/product of grout have you used to match the color of ivory travertine when set in mortar? Our mason like most in this area is not used to doing travertine (mostly flagstone/bluestone etc.) so he knows of darker color grout colors mixed with concrete. Can I use the colored sanded grout they sell at Home Depot or Lowes Polyblend etc or is that just for tile?

I need to give them an answer asap and would appreciate any input.
Thanks so much!

I used a combination of Deck O Seal and Outdoor silicon to fill the gap between my deck and coping. I DID NOT MIX THEM TOGETHER. I ran out of DOS and could not buy it locally, so I finished the job with silicon. Well the DOS blows! The silicon is holding up much much better. In the past I have seen Home Depot have a tile and grout system where the grout comes in a tube. I think you shoot it with a caulking gun.

Trying to figure this out on such short notice has been really stressfull so thank you everyone for chiming in!

The PB suggested I try SONOLASTIC NP1 one part polyurathane sealant but when I tried it on Sat it looked really uneven and sloppy - it was really thick and I couldn't find a way to smooth it out. This was with using backer rod to fill the deeper openings. I do think these silicones might be meant for floor and not wall application much like the deck-o-seal. When I asked the PB he said he recommended a professional put it on but I had no money left in the budget for that.

So I called around at the local tile shops trying to find out whether there was some sanded grout they recommended for such application and they recommended Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout. I guess it's meant for commercial applications of 3/8-1" and is suitable for settings like swimming pools. Wow this stuff is fast setting! It was a pain to do because I had to make it in very small batches but it seems to work and it blends well with the travertine coping.

I'll try to post some pool pics in another post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.