filter not totally level...does it matter?

xfilegirl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
Bellerose/NY
Hi all - We have our filter running, but the pump basket will not fill up all the way. It's only getting about 2/3 full. Running the hose over all the connections did not eliminate the issue for me to be able to detect a leak in any of those spots. I noticed that the filter itself it not completely level with the ground. It's slightly off kilter leaning a bit to the right. Could that cause this issue? :confused:

It's slightly off kilter leaning a bit to the right. Could that cause this issue?
I'm told that I am slightly off-kilter too. :crazy: I don't think that's the cause though. If the pool is not low on water, and the skimmer weir door/flap is not stuck, I would still take my time and inspect everything from the skimmer back to the pump again. Even though the water method didn't seem to work, re-inspect the lid and drain plug O-rings (lubed as well), and 3-way valves, etc. There is either some air getting sucked-in to that side of the system or you have some sort of restriction for the pump basket to stay at 2/3 full.

As a last-ditch item of interest, when was the last time you cleaned your filter and re-coated those grids with new DE?

I'm told that I am slightly off-kilter too. :crazy: I don't think that's the cause though. If the pool is not low on water, and the skimmer weir door/flap is not stuck, I would still take my time and inspect everything from the skimmer back to the pump again. Even though the water method didn't seem to work, re-inspect the lid and drain plug O-rings (lubed as well), and 3-way valves, etc. There is either some air getting sucked-in to that side of the system or you have some sort of restriction for the pump basket to stay at 2/3 full.

As a last-ditch item of interest, when was the last time you cleaned your filter and re-coated those grids with new DE?

I think we're all at least a little off-kilter...we're still talking about the filters, right?! lol :rolleyes:

Filter install is new for the season. Just got a new AGP pool a few weeks ago to replace our old AGP. Filter is freshly set up with new DE. Pump basket wouldn't go more than 2/3 full from the first time we turned it on.

Slightly out of level won't bother a filter at all so long as it's not so out of level it feels like its going to tip over easy.

If your pump basket won't fill with water completely that normally means you have a pump suction issue not a filter problem. What type of pump do you have? Is it 2-speed or variable speed by any chance?

Sounds like just a plain old single speed pump.
Are there air bubbles coming out of the return when the pump runs?
Does the flow of water from the return feel strong?
Whats the pressure reading on the filter when the pump is running?

No bubbles....return feels strong. Pressure reading started is 15 when i first put in on but after it's been running for a while (i've had it running 24/7 as i am getting my CYA levels up) it is jumping a little bit around 17.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.