Fighting algae for weeks

Just to keep everyone updated:

I am still getting the accumulations of stuff as shown in the pictures.

I borrowed the "microscope" from the neighbor but it is not what I need. It is a kids toy that has a screen for many people to view at once, no eyepiece to look though and I can not see anything in it other than some shadows. I am working on a real microscope.

Any suggestions of a decent one to purchase? My kids want one anyway.

New update:
I took the solar cover off and vac'ed the pool yesterday and then went swimming with the kids. I have been thinking about mustard algae liking shade. So I kept the solar cover off last night. I checked the pool this morning and there was only a single spot of accumulation I could find. Now I know there is no sunlight over night but I wonder why when I put the solar cover on I get the "stuff" but when I leave it off I do not? The sun was on the pool all day once I took the solar cover off.

Well I have taken the solar cover off and put it by the garbage. I was looking for a new one back in '08 but never bought one. This is a better excuse for one anyway.

I have not had any luck in search of a usable microscope.

It has been days with the solar cover off, maintaining proper chlorine levels and the deposits still accumulate on the floor. I have decided that since it is this late in the season I am just going to do what I normally do and then close the pool in about a week or so. I will deal with this again next year, if whatever it is lives through the winter. I am also planning on replacing the sand in my filter and doing a thorough inspection of the filter over the winter to make sure it is operating 100%.

Unless someone has some better ideas?

FC 3
CC .5
TC 3.5
PH 7.5
ALK 180
CYA 22

Overnight FC test is less than 1. Above list is the morning results. Water is still clear but the deposits still accumulate. If I do not vac for a couple of days the deposits get bigger. No cover on anymore. Filter runs 8 hours/day.

I know this is an old thread but the mysterious collections of stuff on the floor continue to this day. I have been dealing with it since 2009. I did not realize it was 5 years. I have been vaccumming about every other day and every time the kids want to swim.

I opened the pool a few weeks ago to clear water but with collections of stuff on the floor. I went along with the regular cya/fc reccomendations in hopes the stuff was just pollen. Vac'ed numerous times and the stuff always comes back. It dissapears when disturbed into a small cloud as it gest disbursed into the water.

Here are my numbers from yesterday.

06/18/19 evening
FC 26.5
CC 0
cya 40
PH 7.5
TA 100
Borates about 50

This morning the FC was 27.5, unusual I think as it went up.
I brought the FC up to 32 today and have been brushed about every hour since. The accumulations of stuff are back in 30min to 1 hour. I am at my wits end with this. I am thinking about draining the pool, replacing the liner, ladder and anything else that goes in the pool.

The pool gets full sun all day, no shade except whent he sun is rising and setting. I have replaced the solar and winter covers. I currently have the solar cover off and am running the pump 24/7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same size pool and the same problem. Still on-going for years. I too thought it was algae related at first. Thought maybe there was live algae hiding in the steps and what collected on the bottom was dead algae. A real head scratcher. Since the OCLT doesn't lie, I looked elsewhere. My pump is too big for my filter? The very fine dirt just blows through my filter and settles on the bottom in the creases?

To test my theory, I removed my return eyeball, added some DE to the filter and vacuumed. I immediately backflushed. Next day the bottom stayed much cleaner than normal. One more round of DE and vacuuming and the bottom stayed cleaner than ever before. Since there was virtually no circulation without the eyeball, I bought a bigger one. There's still a little schmutz that collects in the creases, but it's nowhere near as bad as before. I'll just live with it till I get a bigger filter. Once my pump goes belly up, I'll get a two speed.

It may not be worth .02cents but here`s mine: I`d vacuum to waste every time that stuff settles from now on.

I can certainly try that. Nothing to lose. I will report back tomorrow or Sunday.

I have the same size pool and the same problem. Still on-going for years. I too thought it was algae related at first. Thought maybe there was live algae hiding in the steps and what collected on the bottom was dead algae. A real head scratcher. Since the OCLT doesn't lie, I looked elsewhere. My pump is too big for my filter? The very fine dirt just blows through my filter and settles on the bottom in the creases?

To test my theory, I removed my return eyeball, added some DE to the filter and vacuumed. I immediately backflushed. Next day the bottom stayed much cleaner than normal. One more round of DE and vacuuming and the bottom stayed cleaner than ever before. Since there was virtually no circulation without the eyeball, I bought a bigger one. There's still a little schmutz that collects in the creases, but it's nowhere near as bad as before. I'll just live with it till I get a bigger filter. Once my pump goes belly up, I'll get a two speed.

Bill,
I have the same filter but with a 1hp pump. I am going to try vacuuming to waste first since I have no DE on hand. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.