After trolling for awhile trying to make sense of the art of pool cleaning. I have taken a number of steps to try to resolve my green pool problem. I have an idea of what needs to be done but there are steps I believe I am missing. With me missing steps my money is going down the drain on chemical after chemical to get this resolved. I just purchased a foreclosed home with a pool. Pool has sat for 2 years without maintenance. There is no porch but a inground pool that just sits out in the yard. There was a make shift cover but did nothing to keep debris out.
12,000 gallon pool
in pool skimmer
What I have done so far and what I have noticed.
1. I have put 10-12 gallons of chlorine in its. Result I can see through water now. But there is algae and leaves sittin on bottom of floor. Do I keep adding chlorine in and give it time to clear up? Do I had clorox bleach from what I read on forums?
2. I scrubbed the walls and floor with a brush.
3. I put chlorine tablets in the pool.
4. I bought a new Hayward c-900 filter. After first 3 days I had to clean filter 8 times a day. It is now staying white for the most part. I believe I got all dirt out now I believe am just dealing with algae and leaves.
5. The pump is working but when my filter was first put in it was running around 25 psi. Now that the filter is staying white for most part its running at 32 psi. If the filter is cleaner why isn't my psi going down? The jets in the pool do spray right after I clean filter. After hour or so they are no longer spraying. Do I have a bad pump?
6. The skimmer is taking water but I feel it should me more powerful. When I put a manual hose and vac head on there is hardly any suction power. Is this normal?
Please help. I am desperately trying to learn the art and theory behind pool cleaning so that I have it down. Can someone guide me. I promise to get your coffee every morning I am a good student.