As good a place as any to ask....Chlorine % vs Price...It does prevent Algae.

vsat88

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2013
Phenix City, AL.
Wanted to know if this is happening in your area as well. Last year liquid bleach at W. mart or F. Dollar or at D. General was around 3.00 per gal. for 8.25 %. This year its still around 3.00 per gallon but in ALL of those stores the percentage of chlorine went down to 6.0 percent ! How about you ? I have no clue what I am going to do...yet.

<sigh> Yeah... Once Clorox brand lowered their product back down to 6%, all the others did too. Lots of threads about this.

Do try the Walmart "Liquid Chlorine" found in their pool section (I hear) as that is 10% when fresh. I don't know the price off hand but many find it a better deal.

Maddie :flower:

You could call around to local pool stores and see if any of them sell 10% in refillable containers. Sometimes they will fill 2.5 gal carboys or 1 gallon refillable jugs for a little less than what retail bleach sells for. If you have any farm supply or cleaning supply stores around, they do sometimes sell liquid chlorine as well (pressure washing contractors buy chlorine in bulk a lot).

As best as I can glean from the various corporate press releases from The Clorox Company, their "CloroMax Technology" was implemented so as to reduce bleach usage in their cleaning product lines (their largest revenue source) and thus allowing them to "Green Up" their image as an environmentally responsible manufacturer. It also saves them money to manufacture lower % chlorine products (while keeping prices level). Since their products drive much of the production capacity of chlorine nationally, any changes they make will almost always ripple out to the rest of the industry. They are sort of like the lead-horse and when they decide to change their position, others simply follow suit.

Also, as their customer service will tell you - Clorox Bleach is not intended for pool use and you should contact their Pool & Spa division for appropriate pool chemical discussions...

Well, once again, "screwed but not getting kissed" by the big corporations. I would say that its nice to know that it is not just in my area but, its not nice. I do thank you cats for your suggestions. BTW. I did a search and did not find any other threads about this so my bad if I am "beating a dead horse".

Post Script: If anyone has any more ideas about obtaining liquid chlorine or any other way to put the B back in BBB please post it. Thank you !

Have you tried calling some local pool stores? It can't hurt to call them up and ask them if they sell liquid chlorine or liquid shock. Get prices and if you avoid the temptation to test your water or listen to a word that comes out of their mouth, they might be a good option. For the best price, you're usually interested in a four-pack of one gallon reusable containers.

I buy liquid chlorine in a four pack of reusable containers from a local pool store here for a great price.

I contacted a local chemical supply company, and am able to get 12.5% for about $3/gallon... but I buy 55 gallons at a time.
Call some of your local pressure washing people, and ask them where they get their bleach from, it is how I found this place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.