Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Next week I'll take off the cover & get started on readying the pool for it's 4th season :swim:

Except for aesthetics I have been running the pool as it came, SWG & standard Intex cartridge pump. I have information overloaded myself the last 2 weeks on what to purchase, second guessing, trying to fit in my budget and today the purchases have been made!

• Hayward EC40AC Perflex Extended-Cycle D.E. Pool Filter $249
  • 1 hp, 2 speed Maxi Pump $80 (Refurbished)
  • Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer $44
  • Skimmer Socks
  • Refills to bring my test kit up to full
  • Another Donation to TFP to bring me up to a silver supporter because this site is the best :lovetfp:

The sticky for helpful links on AGP have a lot of missing pictures on how to do the wall skimmer I'm open to all all advice & opinions. Except about the pump. That was a non-refundable purchase so tell me that I made a good choice and I'm pretty.

I've read and researched and then read a lot more, but I see differing choices on how to do things, but not really reasons why.

Some questions

1. Where is the best location for the skimmer (side to side), I would think close to where the inlet is, farther away from the return would be better for flow.
  2. Where is the best location for the skimmer (top to bottom). I would like the highest possible and have seen some that go through the top seem, which would be my preference, but I have also read not to cut through the seem.
  3. I want to get rid of the stupid plunger valves, I can barely open them anymore. What is the preferred economical replacement solution?

Do I need to bond anything since I am changing pumps? Until a month or so ago I had never even heard of it, now you can add it to my list of worries. I would have no idea how to even do that.

Until I get everything laid out I don't know what else I will need hardware / conversion wise. I'll sketch it out and make multiple trips to Lowe's I'm sure. I will be sticking with the flexi type lines I think, seems less complicated.

Here is a before picture:

20180418_083916.jpg

I don't know why the pool looks like it is sloping downwards so much. I promise it's not.

Where is the best location for the skimmer (side to side),
It's easy to assume across from the return jet(s) to let the water move across. But you might also watch how the wind "normally" blows across your backyard. Wind usually wins over jets, at least it does at my pool. And while the wind is never the same direction everyday, there usually is a normal flow for your area, so on most days you can count on the wind helping to blow surface debris into your skimmer.
Where is the best location for the skimmer (top to bottom). I would like the highest possible and have seen some that go through the top seem, which would be my preference, but I have also read not to cut through the seem.
I've not had to do this myself, but I thought I read somewhere about 6 inchers or so below the top rail or seam. Some TFP searching and we should be able to find more info.
I want to get rid of the stupid plunger valves, I can barely open them anymore. What is the preferred economical replacement solution?
Some people use those red handled ball valves. While they are not the best valve for pools, they are handy for AGPs. If you converted to hard plumbing, then you might be able to support a nicer 3-way valve. Either way, think it all through and consider inserting unions where needed so that whenever you do need to remove something, you don't have to cut the line.

Here are a couple videos for more ideas:
INTEX Pool w/ PVC Plumbing: INTEX pool with PVC plumbing - YouTube
INTEX Pool w/ PVC Plumbing Intex Pool Upgraded Hard Plumb, Pool pump, Sand Filter, and Salt Water Generator - YouTube

Thanks Texas! Due in part to the ratched down pool cover blowing off twice this winter*, I know which way the wind seems to blow and it goes with the area of where I want to place the skimmer. Luckily wind isn't too much of an issue during the summer months around here, but leaf blowers and lawn clippings are a challenge.

I've been out of town and limited cell service, so haven't watched the YouTube clips yet, but will tonight. All the stuff starts arriving today, finishing with the pump showing up on Thursday so I have a week to get my plan of attack down and ready for the upgrade this weekend.

*I got the cover back on the first time, water was clear and no debris got in the water. 2nd time I was not at home and my my manfriend said water was still clear, but a small amount of the dirt and leaves did get in the water. Curious to see how it looks this week. At least I have the tools and knowledge to make it pretty again if I see green under the cover.

Decided tonight to take off the cover and start getting the water ready. There were some leaves, but still pretty clear. Put in my last new Intex filter cartridge, turned on the pump, got a buzz, a quick chortle of the motor, back to a buzz, then nothing. Hit all the GFIC switches, reset the plugs, nothing. Not sure if I'm going to spend anytime dealing with it since the new setup will be installed Saturday.

I got the new Wi-Fi timer programed & dialed in, wish I would have got one of these years ago.

Outdoor Smart Plug, Maxcio Outdoor Wi-Fi Outlet with 2 Sockets, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home, Wireless Remote Control/Timer by Smartphone, We https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GM9D8B?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I bought the wide mouth skimmer, but now seeing it in person I think the regular size might be the way to go, lighter, smaller hole in the wall, plus is a few dollars cheaper.

The size difference between my new filter and original one amuses me.

As a side note while waiting for my pizza today I went into Leslie's to see what it was all about. I told them I was just killing time so no one tried to sell me anything, but wow high prices and fancy sounding chemical names.
7e7d99a36e4d07b7c666919569195d2c.jpg
3036a5e1687b88fb9ec755deedd367f4.jpg

Love my DE Filter and you will too. It should keep your pool beautifully filtered!

Today I pulled back the rocks and rolled up the fencing to get ready to cut in the skimmer. I'm horribly indecisive so now I'm not sure if I should stick with the wide mouth skimmer or the regular one. I'll have them both on Wednesday, one will be going back. Is there an advantage to either?

Reading a lot about hard plumbing. Definitely want the nicer valves, ect but with how little space I have to work with I'm worried about the tight fit and not being able to move things around if needed. I might get flex PVC cut to size or something. What are the advantages to hard plumbing?

86438acaf80af32f8c80600bc31d6205.jpg

Is the Intex return at the height it is for a reason? Could I have the old intake (lower hole) be the new return when I redo everything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can pretty much do anything, some people use ping pong balls to make sure of no dead spots
That is great to hear. The return is currently very close to the steps which I am sure causes dead spots and if I can use the other outlet I think the flow will be a lot better.

Thanks for replying through all of these posts!!

Ok. Decided on a location and I'm going with wide mouth. Measured it out over and over and taped it down. I have a call for work soon so as soon as that is over, I'm going to do it! (Love my wfh days)

20180425_101434 by stepknee, on Flickr

Also bought some of the plumbing last night. It's kind of hard to see in the photos, but will be skimmer to adapter to PVC (not pictured) to union ball valve, PVC, to adapter to hose to pump. For the return almost the same set up, but will have the elbow as the first adapter. I'll take better pictures tonight once it's installed. Friday will hook up all the equipment, which I can't wait. The pollen and stuff is starting to accumulate. I think maybe I'll put some chlorine in tonight and brush around to try and stop anything that is growing in there.

20180425_102215 by stepknee, on Flickr

20180425_102208 by stepknee, on Flickr

I can admit that while I'm good at numbers on paper, real life stuff may confuse me. East, North (just say turn left at the light people, not go West!), estimating distances and sizes... anyways, I was expecting my new pump to be maybe 6"-8" x 12", something similar to the intex, possibly a bit bigger. No. This thing is a beast! Comparison to my little dog who is not amused.

Ok, tomorrow Man Kne is leaving for the weekend and I'm on my own figuring out plumbing to hook everything up. He has already made comments that he is sure it will be unfinished when he gets back Sunday afternoon. I need to prove him wrong. Will probably be here asking questions. Wish me luck!
f8e8471b52c65b0f5ea0ad7082a68558.jpg

When you dry fit PVC, take a sharpie and Mark the joint where it fits into the slip fitting and make a perpendicular line on the joint and the fitting so you know what orientation to put it back as. If doing many joints I also number them so I know which line goes where

Ok. Pump & filter = hooked up. SWG not so much. But that's ok. The new pump & filter are so far great. Pool water has basically stayed clear all week even though there has been no chlorine or acid or filtration but for sure getting dull. Started it up about 5 hours ago along with the rover and wow, I can definitely see the difference. I put a skimmer sock on and have hosed it out once.

When I look at pump, it's it normal for there to be a bit of air in the lid area?

Brought up the chlorine to 3, then spent the last few hours working on the PH level. Took about 1.25 gallons to get it down to 7.5. Was aiming for 7.2, but that will have to do for now. My CYA is currently at 0, will go to the store in the AM to buy more. Bringing the chlorine to shock level and will test every 30 minutes or so for the next 2 hours. Overnight loss will give me a good picture if there is anything happening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.