Black Algae brushing

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
Hi all,

Been a while since I have posted. I have not been keeping up with the maintenanace of my pool and it caught up with me, I got black algae. I have let my chlorine get low. I also think keeping the water temp above 90 for the last 3 months excelarated the process. The reason I am posting is because I bought a S/S algae brush and had a hard time trying to get into the tight areas and dreaded having to brush all the black spots. Started thinking how to make it easier and came up with a great idea. I used a small power washer. One of those plastic Karmer washers from Home Depot. The hose is made from rubber and the handle is plastic so it was pretty safe to use under water. I just had to make sure the unit did not fall into the pool. There was a risk but I was not getting any where brushing. Also, once I got all the Chlorine in the water it was going to be difficult to brush with an aluminum pole which we all know starts to come apart and break open around the tip.

Took me 20 minutes to clean a 20 x 40 pool.

Do you guys think I was crazy to do it this way? Was there much Danger in getting shocked?

Good morning from sunny and hot Mississippi. And I thought my 85 degree water was hot!

Re: the powerwasher. I have two things I use which are not electrical. One is this long wand that attaches to the end of the garden hose and makes it a mini power washer. I haven't tried it underwater. The other is this little plastic valve attachment that goes on the end of the hose. It's not a sprayer, it is just something to let you cut the water on & off without having to go to the faucet. For some reason, it really makes a sharp stream of water when you turn it on. It's way too much power to water plants. It is my favorite. I think I got that piece at Walmart for maybe a dollar or so.

I don't think I'll be using my electric powerwasher in the pool. I am too clumsy and in general an accident waiting to happen. I really want to live - will stay low tech.

While I don't think you're crazy for wanting to make a hard tiring job easier I would have tied the washer to something immoveable so there was no possibility of it being pulled into the pool.

The washer should have had a GFCI on the end of the cord and it should have been plugged into an outside receptacle that was ground fault protected, so the chance of shock was all but non-existent.

JCJR said:
Do you guys think I was crazy to do it this way? Was there much Danger in getting shocked?
Crazy like a fox...

I have an admission of my own. I use my electric blower with vacuum attachment to clean my pool deck! Drives my GF crazy, can't even do it with her around anymore...

Bama Rambler said:
The washer should have had a GFCI on the end of the cord and it should have been plugged into an outside receptacle that was ground fault protected, so the chance of shock was all but non-existent.

Yes, the power cable was plugged into a GFCI outlet.

I forgot to mention that while using the power washer I cleaned the rim around my light fixtures and a bunch of algae and crud came from the light rings. It would of been difficult for brushing to get into the ring. I have to say it worked very well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.