good price for bleach?

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
I've been buying 4.2G of 6% bleach at Sams for about $7. I'm in the Dallas area and was wondering if thats reasonable. I can't help thinking there must be an industrial supplier that sells to laundromats, dry cleaners, or restaurants where I could buy in bulk. Anyone know of anything like that?

if you look carefully you can find 10% "liquid shock" 4 gal for $10 at grocery stores or stuff-mart
WalMart Great value brand 6% 1.42 gal jug is $2.28... which works out to be a tad cheaper
Others here can sometimes buy liquid chlorine (12%) at the pool store in 5 gal jugs that works out to be a good deal. I think you have to pay a deposit for the jug...

Check around!

I get 6% in .75 gallon jugs at a local grocery store for $0.99. It's a house brand and it's always on the bottom shelf. They also sell 20 Mule Team Borax for $2.99/box. They are the only "pool store" I use.

I wonder why nobody sells bleach by the gallon. They are always .75 or the very odd 1.42 gallon.

nocaster said:
I wonder why nobody sells bleach by the gallon. They are always .75 or the very odd 1.42 gallon.

Because of the scam.

For years, 5.25% "regular strength" bleach was sold in gallon jugs. Then clorox introduced "ultra". 6% bleach, in a smaller .75 gallon container, selling it as a way to save water and shipping costs as .75 gal of ultra had the same total cleaning power of 1 gal of regular strength.

Then everyone started following the formula, less volume, same effective strength for more money. Not a bad deal if you're in the bleach making/selling business.

2 years ago I was buying one gallon of 6% bleach at dollar general for $.99. Last year they had .75 gallon jugs of 6% for $1.50.

What a deal... :(

I now buy my .75 gal jugs of 6% at save-a-lot for $1.18, cheapest I can find in my area.

nocaster said:
...I wonder why nobody sells bleach by the gallon. They are always .75 or the very odd 1.42 gallon.
I think someone (Clorox?) downsized from the one gallon jugs to the three quart jugs when ultra bleach was introduced and everyone else followed suit.

I can't figure out where the 1.42 gallons comes from. It doesn't come out even when you convert it to liters (5.38), quarts (5.68), pints (11.36), cups (22.72), half-cups (45.44), fluid ounces (181.76), imperial gallons (1.18), bushels (0.152537637), pecks (0.610150546), chaldrons (4.23714428478416E-03), gills (45.44), hogsheads (2.25397021637418E-02), cords (1.48301985070333E-03) or any other measure I can think of.

1.42 probably came from walmart. They're notorious for telling companies that they want slighty smaller amounts that they can sell cheaper but in packaging that looks the same so the consumer hopefully won't notice. Don't play there game, the don't buy from you and find someone to take your place on their shelves. Insert descriptive explative here.

Most wouldn't do the math like you did :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get the 5 gallon jug at the pool store (yes, gasp!). 12.25% which probably comes down to 10 or 11% in reality since there's some degradation of the concentration with time and heat. I paid a $5 deposit for the carboy initially and trade it in for a full one for $14. That comes out to $2.80 per gallon or $0.0218/oz.

I did some calculations a while ago using cost/oz for the various concentrations of liquid bleach and how much I need to add to my pool to raise it by 1 ppm, and I found that using pool store chlorine was the least costly, even when I assumed a 10% concentration. I have a pool store nearby, easier to get to than the x-marts, so for me, this is the better deal. YMMV.

AnnaK

Convenience (along with affordability and lack of side effects) is the big selling point of chlorinating with bleach. You can get it while you're at the grocery or Wal-Mart or K-Mart or the dollar store or just about anywhere else. You don't have to waste time and gas making a special trip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.