Lowering Water Temperature

Aug 10, 2009
Pearland, TX
My AG pool is in full sun most of the day. During the hottest part of the summer the water temperature can get quite warm. When I jump in the pool I want to cool off. I have a hot tub for a relaxing hot soak.

Any suggestions on lowering water temperature?

Duraleigh

Thanks for the information. My pool came with a fountain attachement for the return jet but it came apart the first time I tried to install it. I will have to get some PVC cement, repair it, and give it a try.

I currently run my filter only during the day, but I am going to start splitting the filter run time between daylight and nightime hours.

Just to appease some kids last year threw 3-8lb bags of ice in the pool. The water temp was 94 degrees and the ice lasted about 30 seconds.

The math regarding ice in a pool just doesn't add up. In my case 25000 gal @ 8.333 lbs per gallon = 208325 lbs of water. 24 lbs of ice is not gonna make much of an impact. Especially when I am in full sun 100 degree day.

Cool nights, now thats the ticket.

Terry

Back when I was way younger and not nearly as smart as I am now, I used to work at an ice house. On Saturday mornings during the summer we would get up early and load about 10 cases of beer in the bed of the truck then run down to the ice house and blow about 5 or 6 blocks (A block of ice is 300#) of shell (crushed) ice in the bed of the truck. We'd then head over to our buds house that had a pool and back the truck up to the pool and shovel the ice in the pool until we got to the beer. By the time we got to the beer we were ready for them and it actually cooled the pool down enough that you could tell it. Sometime during the afternoon we'd make a second ice run. Of course after the second run we didn't know or care if the pool was cooler but the beer sure was.

Run a fountain (either storebought or homemade), especially at night, and you'll be surprised how much your pool cools off. For that matter, get in your pool with a fountain running during the daytime, and you'll be surprised at how cool the drops are coming back down on you. Least I was, but then again, I'm amazed by the simplest things sometimes... :lol:

Another tip, if you have a solar heater connected - run it at night, and the panels will actually help cool the water.

In the daytime you will be relying on evaporation to give you the cooling effect. In a humid area, evaporation won't get you all that much. In arid climates, you get some real cooling regardless of the air temp. At night you get less evaporation but you are picking up the much cooler air temperature.

So, in Houston and New Orleans and Florida where the humidity can exceed 100% at times, "That ain't rain, it's just the humidity falling," I think you are usually better off to count on cooler night time temps for cooling the pool. You can find a chart of local temperatures at Weatehr Underground and if you run your fountain or waterfall then, you will exchange pool temp for that early AM air temp.

get solar panels but run them at night.

The beauty of this is you can run them during the day to extend your season both early and late in teh year and during the hot months just run them at night - they will REALLY cool the pool down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.