Alternative sanitizers

Aug 13, 2009
We just put in an aboveground pool (16X32) with a deep end. I spoke to someone today who said they use a Nature2 alternative sanitizer to reduce their chlorine use and keep their water softer. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these systems?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Oh boy!

No one likes them on this forum, as they are chlorine junkies, :lol: they do work but they seem to be very difficult to control which may result in you staining either your pool or your hair or both. If you read some of the other posts (do a search for nature 2) I am sure you will read enough to put yourselves off spending the money on one.

Welcome to TFP,
If you go to Pool School at the top of the page there are articles on Alternative Sanitizers. If your looking for better feel to the water many people add salt to their pools. Salt levels are about half of the level needed for a SWCG. Read through some of the problems posted and the final out comes.

I can share my personal story - I used to have a similar "mineral system" - The Pool Frog. First year worked great, then things went down hill quickly. I didn't end up on TFP by accident, and I chose my username for a reason. :wink:

The Frog worked basically in a similar way to the N2. It uses silver and copper ions, metals, as an algae-inhibitor. They tout the system as being able to "use less chlorine" - but in fact what ends up happening is the pool becomes overstabilized from trichlor use, the "low" levels of chlorine become uneffective (I still ended up with Pink Algae and organic staining on the bottom of my pool) the silver and copper levels can get too high and cause staining, that is difficult if not impossible to remove, the copper turns hair green....the list is endless. My kids hair, their friends hair, my dogs hair...all turned green. I have a permanent stain around the perimeter of my pool from copper.

Once I found TFP and switched to BBB, I never looked back. 2 months into BBB and my problems were over, and I spend less than $12 a month maintaining my pool and I have not had a single issue, and I rarely, if ever shock my pool (even then its for extended vacations or winterizing).

Alternative Sanitizers are nothing but trouble. They are just overpriced expensive gimmicks that reap a huge profit for the Pool Stealers. Avoid it like the plague.

Edit, the article has been restored.

teapot said:
I always wondered what your story was regarding the Frog.

So the trichlor and your lack of knowledge regarding stabiliser were the real culprits?

Oh, I'd say adding the copper and silver to her water was the culprit for the staining. The real culprit is marketing these systems as "reduced chlorine" or "chlorine-free" systems. FWIW, I'd say 99% of existing pool owners and pool service people have a complete lack of knowledge regarding the chlorine/CYA relationship. We see it every day here with new members.

teapot said:
I always wondered what your story was regarding the Frog.

So the trichlor and your lack of knowledge regarding stabiliser were the real culprits?

Yes, in a way. But it was more of a combination of issues and events. :wink: Basically following the recommendations of the manufacturer is what got me into trouble.

They recommend a .5-1 FC residual. They make no mention of CYA and it's relationship to chlorine. Not having the knowledge to know this was a crock, it led to my pool being overstabilized, which led me to have algae/organic issues that despite their claims to the contrary, the ions were NOT controlling. Shocking as advised by the pool store NEVER worked. I continued to have problems for three seasons. The only thing the ions were successful at, were staining my pool and turning hair green. :grrrr:

There were other things, equipment malfunction, the price of the their cartridges/bacpacs, etc. I have no regrets dropping the system. I used to spend easily over $400 in a season with the Frog system because I was having so many problems.

Anyway, that's the condensed version. :mrgreen: