Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to run the filter

1. Back To Top    #1

When to run the filter

What time of day is best for running the filter? I am running my filter about 10 hours per day during the hottest time of day.

On another topic. When you shock the pool, do you need to run the pump more to circulate the extra chlorine?
    Frank Jurgens
    21' AG, 11000 Gal Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to run the filter

You're not doing bad but remember that you're letting your pool set stagnant for 14 hours without the pump running. The suggestion here is to run your pump in two or more cycles per day. I run mine in two (4)hr sessions. 2:30pm to 6:30pm and 3:00am till 7:00am.

If you're shocking you should be running your pump/filter 24hrs during that time. That not only helps mix the extra Chlorine but helps the circulation therefore preventing any spots that might have low FC if allowed to sit and removes any dead algae, etc. faster.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

the specific recommendations can be found here: pool-school/pump_run_time
    I also do 8 hours a day but I don't split it up.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

I did read the Pool School topic before I posted the question. The Pool School tells you how LONG to run the filter, but not WHEN (as in what time of day, if it matters). I've been told to run the pump at the hottest part of the day.
    Frank Jurgens
    21' AG, 11000 Gal Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It doesn't make a huge difference what time of day you run the pump. If you have time of day electrical pricing you should run the pump when electricity is cheap. If your timer allows, you should split up your runtime into two blocks with a substantial gap between them, so the longest that the pool goes without the pump running isn't too long. Many people like to have the pump running when they are swimming. Running during the sunniest part of the day is good if you don't have some reason not to run then.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What about 2 speed pumps, what is the recommendation for that? I usually run mine on the high setting but would like to run it on low if possible.
    24ft AG pool, about 13,600 gal I think
    200lb Sand Filter
    2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    recent Baquacil CONVERT and loving it.......

7. Back To Top    #7

Typically a two speed pump is run 24/7 on low speed, though a larger ones can be run for shorter periods of time. It all depends on the relative sizes of your pool and pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School