Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning testing vials

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning testing vials

Thread hijack at bottom of thread split to new topic - Moderator

When you are done testing, what is the best way to clean the vials, so there is nothing left for the next time you test?

I have been rinsing them with pool water and then putting them in the case. I'm thinking that I'm leaving something in them, especially the FAS/DPD test, since I have to do the test twice to get a good reading.

Should I leave them out on the counter to air dry. Can I wash them with soap and water or will that leave something in the vials?
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cleaning testing vials

For years, all I've done is a good pool water rinse and have had no reason to suspect any contamination.

I'm pretty lazy and put mine back in the kit with the outside dried off but the inside still wet.

Others may suggest being more thorough.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdvldog
    I have been rinsing them with pool water and then putting them in the case. I'm thinking that I'm leaving something in them, especially the FAS/DPD test, since I have to do the test twice to get a good reading.
    To clarify what I mean by a "good reading" is that the first test I do is 1ppm lower than the next test. Last night I tested 3 times. The first one was 1ppm lower and the next 2 were the same, so I would assume the last 2 tests were the correct ones.
    24'x4' AGP Round
    S166T Hayward Sand Filter
    S48K2A2 Hayward Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdvldog

I rinse with tap water, then wipe inside and out with a paper towel.

To clarify what I mean by a "good reading" is that the first test I do is 1ppm lower than the next test. Last night I tested 3 times. The first one was 1ppm lower and the next 2 were the same, so I would assume the last 2 tests were the correct ones.

Sounds to me like you may not be using quite enough powder. I had the same problem with repeatability because I was trying to measure the powder too carefully, which ended up with not quite enough to yield accurate results. Use a little more powder next time you test and I think you will have solved your problem.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

rinse with tap, wipe with paper towel (FAS-DPD vial). Rinse with pool water before performing test.

OTO/PH air dry.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I rinse mine with pool water and put them away wet. Well, I 'sling' them out.
    I keep a paper towel in my TF100 case.
    It absorbs moisture when the case is closed and makes a good white background when testing.
    I fold it in half, and just lay it on top across the compartments before I close the lid.

As for the DPD powder, I look to see if it has all dissolved in my water sample before I add any drops. If it has, I add a few more granules. I figger that if there are a couple of undissolved crystals in the water, then I have saturated the sample and I have used enough.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]