Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oh No - CYA Sock Broke

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh No - CYA Sock Broke

We’ve just replaced the water in our hot tub. I put a few ounces of CYA in a sock and started the jets. The water broke open the sock and now CYA granuals are on the bottom of hot tub. Can I just leave them there to dissolve or do I have to get them out? Will they cause damage to the fiberglass surface?
    Thank you for your input.
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Oh No - CYA Sock Broke

Just push them around with a broom every now and then and keep the pump running. You don't want them to settle overnight in one place but there is no need to remove them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Duraleigh.
    I will do that.
    36K gal IG Diamondbrite, IntelliFlo VSOM 3HP Pump, Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, HeatPro 140K BTU Heat Pump, AquaRite AQR15 SWG, Built 1/16-4/16, no H20 restrictions; Hotspring Limelight Flair 310 gal hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

That's why I bought liquid cya for the hot tub, yep a little pricey but I figure 1 gallon will last me over a year and avoids a lot of hassle.

Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is also why a short run of Calcium Dichlor is a good option to raise CYA on a new fill as it dissolves quickly.
    27,000 gallons of central CA well water housed in a fiberglass coated concrete/plaster pool, dug into the most productive top soil on earth and surrounded by an urban forest.
    Cleaned with a Pentair 48 sq ft DE filter and a Dolphin Discovery (S200) robot. 250 gal Hot Springs Solana RX stand alone spa. Taylor K-2006. My first thread... New Old House, New Old Pool....