AZ Remodel imminent

RC121

Bronze Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Finally met with the builder and the demo starts next week!

I had asked a few questions in a previous thread https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/154405-Pool-remodel-in-AZ-guidance-needed and seems like my plans have changed a bit after talking to my pool builder.

Here's what the pool currently looks like:
pool1.JPG

Going from white plaster to NTP Mini Pebble Aqua Blue, re-tile with a lighter blue tile and adding a large baja step to replace the entry steps. I've also bitten the bullet and decided to get rid of the infloor cleaning system, as the one i have (caretaker 99) doesn't seem to work near as well as my old pool (A&A) since we have a lot more leaves dropping in the pool that just get pushed around the bottom. I already have a suction return line, so very much debating whether to get a cheaper suction vac or go all-in with a robot. Since I've already got some plumbing from the infloor system, we are going to use some of the existing pipe to put in 2 bubblers into the baja shelf. I have a few questions to make sure everything goes smoothly/works properly.

First is for the removal of the infloor system and utilizing part of the existing plumbing for the bubblers. I'm assuming they just cap the unused lines at the pool equipment and then somehow cover them with the new pool surface. Are there concerns with how they might do this to ensure no issues from the unused lines and that they don't cause any issues with the durability of the pool surface? I've seen issues with rebar showing through a surface and want to ensure there are no complications with covering the old collars/plumbing.

Second question relates to the first with the bubblers. When I asked about using the existing plumbing for the bubblers, the builder said they would just find one zone from the infloor system that controlled 2 or more heads in the baja shelf area and use those. Is there a concern with not using 2 separate zones, one for each bubbler? I'd be concerned with not being able to control the pressure to each bubbler especially if they ended up uneven with no way to fix it. Is that an issue or am I overthinking it? Are there specific bubbler heads that I should ask for?

Last question is the cleaning vac or robot. I really hesitated with getting rid of the infloor system because I didn't want to always have something in the pool or have to worry about constantly removing or putting back the hose and vac. I've swam in a number of pools that had the vac with the big hose and it always seemed to be in the way. Having read through a lot of the robot threads, I didn't see an answer to a really simple question. How do people plug them in? My pool is somewhat shallow but long and is not within 60 feet of an outlet to plug in a robot. Anyone else have the same problem? Can you buy a longer line or do you run an extension cord? I guess I could always have an outlet installed closer to the pool if that's what it takes.

Will definitely update this thread as the process moves along, the builder said it would only take about 2 weeks so we'll see.

I had the same dilemma when I was replacing my polaris with a robot. I got a dolphin. I like it a lot, i wouldn't say it's perfect. It misses the same spots my polaris did, must be the shape of my pool. But i can use the remote to get it over to that area. And it's much easier to deal with than the polaris was. That filter was always clogged, it often just sat at the bottom of the pool spinning, and the hose broke constantly and was impossible to fix each time because the nuts are so hard to change out. I used an extension cord at first with the dolphin, but got frustrated and paid an electrician to put a plug under my deck which is next to my pool. It was a good choice! I am also remodeling my plain white plaster. I'd love to add a shelf and a bubbler, but i don't have the line that you do, they'd have to rip up my decking to plumb it, boo. I hope we both have smooth remodels!

Definitely having them install 2 umbrella sleeves in the baja shelf, thanks for reminding me to make sure the builder has it written down.

Step 1: Done, pool pretty much drained.
pooldrain.JPG

Supposed to be at the house later today to do the chip out and go over the baja step. Here's a picture of a step they did, not sure if i like this or what other options we have for designing the baja.
poolbaja.JPG
Ours will be closer to second step depth and I'm not sure yet if we're going to leave the first step somewhat as-is in the corner or if we should run it all the way across. If we leave it as is, I think I'd rather just have the steps off the baja on that side of the pool and maybe a little wider than the first step. Any other thoughts?

Step 2: Demo mostly done. They left the area of the baja step so they could access the in floor system for the bubblers. When I left this morning, they were filling in the baja section with all the demo material and large rock. They identified the 2 zones of the in floor plumbing and, luckily, two of the heads match up very close to the center of the baja step, so some minor finagling should be all that is needed to get the plumbing for the bubblers where it needs to be.

Based on the depth of the baja shelf (12-14"), they're going to have to move one of the return lines. We also decided to add an identical first step on the other corner of the pool so that everything looks symmetrical.

Step 3: Building baja step, in process

They identified the existing plumbing of the 2 zones to utilize for the bubblers and then capped the remaining heads on those zones. Are caps strong enough to stop those from leaking based on the pressure needed to get the bubblers working? Doesn't look like they are going to cap the other lines (or haven't yet) since they are being unhooked at the equipment. Should those have caps on them? They're doing the rebar today so should have a rough idea of the baja step and new steps into the pool.

Will try to upload some pictures later but am having trouble getting them small enough to post here.

Step 3: Baja step built.

Before
26400.jpg

After
26544.jpg

Will need to confirm what they are doing with the return line on the left, as I was told they are moving it since it is in the way of the baja step. Doesn't look like they've moved it yet and they were supposed to bring it over by the steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully I'll get a response to this one, but what is everyone's opinion on small tiles in the surface to mark things like steps or the end of the baja shelf? I've seen a few builds on here where people have had bad installs of the tiles and definitely don't want to end up with that. But I also thought the tiles will help show my little kids where the steps are and where the end of the baja is. Thoughts on whether this is necessary?

I know we had them in both pools but they were both white plaster, does it make a difference with a somewhat darker pebble surface and being able to see the changes in depth?

Hopefully I'll get a response to this one, but what is everyone's opinion on small tiles in the surface to mark things like steps or the end of the baja shelf? I've seen a few builds on here where people have had bad installs of the tiles and definitely don't want to end up with that. But I also thought the tiles will help show my little kids where the steps are and where the end of the baja is. Thoughts on whether this is necessary?

I know we had them in both pools but they were both white plaster, does it make a difference with a somewhat darker pebble surface and being able to see the changes in depth?

I'm not sure, but I'm planning on putting them in as part of my remodel. Likely not necessary, but I think it will look nice, and have some degree of functionality as well. We're doing a darker pebble, and I'm searching for small tiles that will contrast it nicely. Have been looking at the glass glow in the dark tiles.

Sorry, I’ve only just seen your thread. I have no advice about the plumbing. I do like what you’ve done with the steps and the Baja shelf. Good call on scrapping the infloor cleaning. As for the surface tiles, if they’re step markers, we have put them in. It’s just to highlight the edge of a drop, so that’s really just personal preference. I can take a photo of ours for you if you like? Our pool isn’t complete but the tiles are in.

Somewhat urgent question, what bubblers are people using? Unfortunately since we used existing plumbing, we didn't run power to be able to use an led bubbler. Do people just use standard return fittings? I saw a previous post where someone used this fitting and it seemed to work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RGYY3V/ref=asc_df_B074RGYY3V5452241/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B074RGYY3V&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242002221291&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7849845686942005954&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061148&hvtargid=pla-422585661776
My builder wants to know asap if I have any thoughts on just want to confirm I'm doing it right.

20180428_063858.jpg
Surface went in yesterday, overall looks pretty good to my eyes knowing that they still are going to acid wash this morning. I'm assuming that will even out some of the color since the acid wash should show more if the pebble.
A few spots that are concerning if I'm picky, one spot especially where the surface is not flush to the tile. I'm going to mention that when they get here but don't know what they can do and maintain the integrity of the surface. Can they chip part of it down?
20180428_063322.jpg
I don't think it would be a huge deal in the deeper part of the pool but it's on the Baja step right next to the step to get in the pool.

Push them on it. They can fix it but they have to be careful and use a "quiet" hand when doing it. Ask them who will be doing it and talk to them. Ask them how they plan to fix it and ask to watch them as you want to learn about your pool. Maybe have a $10 in your hand for them to see????

Kim:kim:

20180430_070449.jpg

Overall, I am happy with the result. Builder is coming out tomorrow to go over "opening" (pool was done filling Sunday at 9:00am) and when I asked if I should do anything in the meantime, his only response was jump in...

So I've been doing my brushing and waiting to meet with him while putting together a list of some of the issues, none of which are major in my eyes.

1. I went out and mentioned the one area above where the surface wasn't flush to the tile. I was assured they would take care of it but I had to leave. So of course I got back with them gone and they didn't do anything to it.

2. Bubblers are caretaker flush mount return jets and they work very well. However, looks like they both have different size openings. One is wide open and the other has a smaller nozzle fitting. Should be easy enough to remedy.
3. They installed a return fitting on the vac line and plugged one of the returns with a cap rather than the other way around. I removed the cap off the return line but could not get the return jet nozzle out of the vac line. Is it just elbow grease or any advice on getting this out?
4. They cracked a collar fitting on the pvc lines going to the new off for the bubblers so it leaks pretty bad when turning on the bubblers. Looks like they must have put too much pressure on that pipe when they were cutting to run new pvc for the bubblers. Will ask him to fix it.
5. Intellibrite issues - tried the light and wasn't working. Located the wiring near the switch and some of the wires weren't attached. Reattached the 2 white wires and pressed the button. Did some weird strobe effect, pressed it again and it worked fine. The switch is an old x10 switch that might be the issue so I'll likely just wire in a new switch. I did read somewhere that x10 switches can have dimmer functions which would not be good for this light.
Also, I noticed tonight that there seems to be light "leaking" out between the surface and the fixture. Would this mean the light isn't flush to the surface and needs to be tightened down?
6. Only real surface issue I can see (other than the spot near the tile) is on the bottom of the last step where it transitions to the floor. Looks like 3 small humps where they didn't do a good job of curving it from a lateral surface to a horizontal one. But I only really noticed it at night with the pool light on and not during the day, so maybe it isn't that obvious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.