Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's up with my formerly well behaved pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's up with my formerly well behaved pool?

We've had our pool for a year now. Once we got the water balanced, we've never had a problem with the Chlorine. We've used the BBB method since the beginning. Some of the other chemicals have bugged me at times, but the Chlorine has always been perfect.

I check the FC, CC, and pH almost every day. Yesterday I didn't because it was pouring. On Monday I happened to check everything and results were

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    ph 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 200
    CYA 55

I have a Taylor 2006 kit.

I know CYA is a little low, but its been a struggle to get the level up. We've had massive amounts of rain this summer.

So, today I came home from work and tested the water, fully expecting my standard 3.5 FC and there is NO FC. Like zero. I put 2 scoops of powder in and no pink. I put another one in and just a touch pink. I was so surprised I did the test 3 times. I thought maybe my powder went bad overnight so I used some test strips I have for days I feel lazy. Nothing. BTW, pH was 7.5.

So, now I'm worried I'm on the verge of an algae bloom. There were a couple of dead of dead frogs in the pool, but that's nothing unusual for us. We haven't had anyone swimming in the pool since Saturday, and then only one adult.

Other data: I had to add water from our well on Monday because the level was down after a warm spell. Yesterday we had torrential rains. Could either of those cause this issue?

I just added some shock 'n swim an hour ago and will check the FC in a few minutes. I'll keep adding it until I get the FC up to shock levels and then I'll keep it there until tomorrow and then I'll do an over night test. Does that sound like a plan? I don't have any liquid chlorine around. The only other Chlorine source I have around, besides my SWG, is tablets. I could use those too or instead. I just don't really feel like going out to buy chlorine, but I will if you tell me I need to.

Thanks for your help.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's up with my formerly well behaved pool?

Wait!! What is shock and clear? Just add chlorine! I see you have a SWG - Is it working?
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Shock and Swim. It's Calcium Hypochlorite
    19,000 gallons
    1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Deb04
    Shock and Swim. It's Calcium Hypochlorite
    Thats probably fine since your CH is pretty low and I don't think it matters much for a vinyl pool. Of course if you follow the BBB method you should only be adding bleach! Which is really all you need.
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, you also asked if my SWG is working. It appears to be. All of the lights are where they should be.
    19,000 gallons
    1.5 HP Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

well technically since you're at 0 you should shock as you know. you could start it tonight and do an overnight loss test tonight to potentially kill 2 birds with one stone. just make sure the swg is off if you choose to do it that way.

there's nothing wrong with adding calhypo or dichlor or trichlor or whatever as long as you know your other levels and the effect the chemicals will have. it may even be easier for you to raise your cya by using dichlor. bbb stands for proper testing and balancing more than it stands for any certain chemicals.

you can also use www.thepoolcalculator.com to find how much of whatever product you are using you need to raise it to shock level. you want to get to shock level sooner than later. that site will also tell you how much other products you are adding (i.e. calcium in your case) by using the effects of chemicals section in the bottom of the page.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Update:

Last night at 11:00 FC was 22. I turned off the SWG and considered that the start of my overnight test.

At 11:15 we got a call that my father-in-law had falled down the stairs and had what turned out to be a fatal head injury. So, naturally, my pool isn't even showing up on my list of priorities right now. However, I don't want things to get out of control as we deal with wake, funeral, out of town guests, etc.

I happened to wake up at 8:30 this morning after very little sleep and thought, "what the heck, I might as well check the pool. I can't sleep anyway." The FC was 18. What do you think re: that drop in FC? At 8:30 the sun had been up about 2 hours. It was overcast.

Tonight we got home, FC was 14. CC was 0. If I had algae or something, shouldn't there be some CC?

I'm thinking of just adding a package of shock 'n swim every night until things calm down and I can do a real overnight test. That probably won't be for about a week.

Advice?

Thanks.
    19,000 gallons
    1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm so sorry. That is just terrible
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh, Re: the cal-hypo, It should keep things in check until you can take the time to deal with it.

Hang in there....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for the condolences and the advice.
    19,000 gallons
    1.5 HP Pump