Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thoughts on SWG plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Thoughts on SWG plumbing

I'm considering going salt water. The intex swg to be exact. I know my pool is a bit big but I read someone around here with a comparable pool is working this setup with longer run times.

My question is this: as far as plumbing this thing, could I do something as simple as swap the swg out with the in line chlorinator? It seems almost too convenient. Thoughts?
    In Ground gunite pool
    26,700 gallons, Hayward Super 2 pump, Hayward booster pump
    Hayward Super 2 fall/ fountain pump
    Cartridge filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thoughts on SWG plumbing

Most likely you can fit the SWG into the same spot, but it will no doubt take some minor plumbing work to fit it in. The Intex uses non-standard plumbing connectors, and you will have to find the appropriate adapters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can probably get a lot of info from these threads -
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-t1090.html
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex...ool-t8884.html
    I left my chlorinator hooked up, it comes in handy when you want to use tri-chlor pucks(yes, even with a SWG pucks have a useful place in the TFP line-up, so does bleach!) I thought that plumbing my SWG in was easy, but I'm comfortable cutting and glueing PVC, the wiring is really easy, just plug it in!
    For a pool as large as yours, in Texas, I'd consider using two of these units, what I'll call a RAISC system(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Salt Chlorinators) with them hooked in parallel to reduce back pressure and run time. I'd also recommend that you buy spare parts (ie. extra units) for future repairs: if you look in this forum, even the "Big Boys" need (expensive)parts for repairs!
    Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by New2Me
    For a pool as large as yours, in Texas, I'd consider using two of these units, what I'll call a RAISC system(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Salt Chlorinators) with them hooked in parallel to reduce back pressure and run time.
    You know, I was very happy to keep lurking and absorbing the wealth of knowledge. But then you have to make a joke like that and I can't help but comment. That was pretty good. I'm curious how many people on here actually get that without having to look it up.

I actually just hooked up my Intex last week. It fit ok but running the pump on high causes the included hose to expand a disturbing amount. But it didn't take any more to install it for me than the parts that were included. And it fit right in the space where my Pool Frog used to sit, convenient.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I really didn't mean for it to be a joke, more a statement of my perceived reality! Glad you liked it! For those that don't care/know how to look it up, I borrowed it from the Information Technology lingo cloud. It is RAID, Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disk drives (I've seen other words used to derive the same purpose acronym) a way of using multiple computer hard drives on which to store data so that when one failed, everything else didn't. Same reasoning applies here, if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.
    Aquabots

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    For a pool as large as yours, in Texas, I'd consider using two of these units, what I'll call a RAISC system(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Salt Chlorinators) with them hooked in parallel to reduce back pressure and run time.

As a previous Network / IT guy. I love that comment
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

7. Back To Top    #7

, if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.
    When I built my computer, I put in a RAID 0. Maybe the benefit would be the same for the SWG, where having 2 would garner better performance, as well as backup if one fails:

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

I installed this model on my 27,000 gal pool. Works great. Costs less.

CompuPool Pool Salt System Chlorine Generator 40k gal

http://cgi.ebay.com/CompuPool-Pool-Salt ... 2303091056

I removed my chlorinator and just use bleach if I need to shock for some reason.

I did splice in new plumbing for the cell.
    "Whatever happened to the guy who drained his whole pool?"
    27,000 gal plaster in-ground
    Compupool 40k SWG from eBay - works great!
    Polaris 380
    Hayward DE
    1.4 HP Hayward Northstar pump
    Two FAFCO Solar Bear panels now heating the pool!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    , if you have one big SWCG and it stops, you're out of the chlorine making business until you fix whatever is causing it to stop. With multiple units, when one fails, you can up the load on the others to carry on whilst repairs are made.
    When I built my computer, I put in a RAID 0. Maybe the benefit would be the same for the SWG, where having 2 would garner better performance, as well as backup if one fails:

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives.
    with SWGs you are just better off buying 2, and keeping 1 on a shelf, in case the other one breaks, or even better - buying 1 and then buying second one when the other one fails

10. Back To Top    #10

here is a pic of the adapter I used to plumb mine in (yes I know it's not sch 40 fittings, but they work well...as jason mentioned, given the male threads on the intex swg are not exactly like the threads on pvc plumbing, i would suggest using a good amount of pipe dope when attaching the fitting to the swg...the pic is for 1.5" pvc plumbing

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_1074.jpg
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Strannik
    with SWGs you are just better off buying 2, and keeping 1 on a shelf, in case the other one breaks, or even better - buying 1 and then buying second one when the other one fails
    YES. As interesting (and amusing) is the notion proposed earlier in the thread, it doesn't make good sense to install multiple units in an array, parallel or otherwise, unless 1 proves insufficient to redress chlorine demand. Why have the electro plating being worn and the circuitry charged when they're not needed? My vote is with Strannik on this one
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

12. Back To Top    #12

The array idea is for increasing the capacity, the having spares is the inexpensively pointed part. Having an array, with valves, would make it easier to "swap" the in use unit to clean/repair it, and/or keep it dry(valved out) when not in use (although I seem to remember reading here somewhere that it is not the exposure to pool water that diminishes the life of the cell, but the AMP-HOURS usage it sees.) Anyways, it always happens to me, that when something fails, and I need a part RIGHT NOW, the "I-have-the-part-you-need" place is closed, or worse yet, several shipping days away, and thats if I know what part is is. The "I-can-help-you-troubleshoot-that-problem" people are often not available when I need them either, and, with computers, they most often also speak a different dialect of The Kings English, further complicating the situation. Then there's the "That-one-part-is-almost-as expensive-as-a-whole-new-unit," which was expensive to start with. If I can get 5 inexpensive units versus 1 expensive one, I've got 4 spares(or one unit, one spare and party cash . )

Early computers with Hard Disk Drives were not of much use when the drive failed, if they used DOS(Disk based Operating System.) A single large Hard Disk Drive was more expensive then several smaller ones, but usually had the same MTBF(Mean Time Before Failure.) Going with a RAID meant that when you lost a drive: a.)you could continue to operate the computer, b.)you could replace it cheaper (and usually get more capacity for the money.) This was my thinking.
    Aquabots