Pool store repsonse to my pricing request

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
As I mentioned in a previous thread, the grids in my DE filter are shot and Doughboy wants >$200 for replacements. So I am thinking of replacing with sand. E-mailed the local pool store for pricing, here's the reply: Critique at will. Any truth to it?

Hello,

I do not stock Hayward Sand Filters. I can however get them. I can get you a price, but I need to remind you that DE is a far superior filter media to sand. There have been quite a few customers in the last year or so that have Doughboy pools, and for whatever reason have switched to sand. They have not been happy. Even though you need to replace the de filter grids, in the event of a big pool clean-up, algae bloom, etc. The sand filter cannot do the job. We then need to sell then Purifiber, ( a product that is used to make sand behave like a DE filter) In many cases we rent them a DE filter to clear up the pool!

Please feel free to call or stop by our store if you have additional questions..

Let me know if you would still like a price the sand filter.

Pool store has it exactly backwards. If my pool was a mess, a sand filter can handle that far easier than a DE or Cart.

If my pool was perfect, a DE just might make it perfecter :lol: :lol:

DE are good at really "polishing a pool and many people like them for day to day operations as well. While sand cannot filter as fine as DE, it is really good at clearing a trashy pool without constant clogging.

All three types of filters can make a pool crystal clear if they are used properly.

I want to try the DE powder trick as the filter performance drops off. Everybodys situation is different. Different bathing loads. Different types of dirt or leaves or whatever. Different sizes of filters relative to the amount of water in the pool and turnover rate. In my specific case when the sand is new the water just sparkles. As the years went by I maintained the same chemistry with the same chemicals and gradually the water which was changed every year lost its sparkle. It looked pretty good, but it didn't stop you in your tracks. After 7 years of gradually declining pizzazz I replaced the sand and now am back to WOW :goodjob: :whoot: :cheers:

Many will say sand does not wear out but in my campground pool, it did. For about $120.00 and 1 1/2 hours of work, I got the WOW back.

Terry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.