pH drift up, how low with TA

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
My pH drifts relatively fast, 7.5 to 7.8+ in a day or 2. My TA reading is 90ppm. I have read pool school and it recommends lowering pH (7.0-7.2) to bring down TA to combat drifting pH. How low should I go with TA? I brought pH down Monday night to 7.2, aerating with waterfalls for ~1hr that night. pH this morning was 7.8 already, and TA is 90ppm still. I just lowered pH down to 7.2 again with waterfalls on. After 1 hour pH still at 7.2.

Is something else causing this? Pool built in 2006.

CYA=30
CH=260
FC=6
CC=0

I'd push your pH down to 7 as long as that isn't the lowest value your kit can measure. The alkalinity lower process works best with lower pH.

tedinelkgrove said:
My pH drifts relatively fast, 7.5 to 7.8+ in a day or 2. My TA reading is 90ppm. I have read pool school and it recommends lowering pH (7.0-7.2) to bring down TA to combat drifting pH. How low should I go with TA?
I had to lower my TA down to 50 - 60 to control PH rise, although even at that low level it is not static but drifts up in tandem with my PH. I have to adjust with acid about once/week.

With your water feature I would think you will be battling PH rise even after lowering TA.

FWIW,
Dave

I live in your city and have the same issue. My TA is around 70 and I have to add 22oz of MA every other day. I've come to accept that that's the way it is. From my research, it may be because of my SWG. Also, to get my TA down, I lowered my ph to 7.0 and it took 4 hours with my waterfall running (which causes a LOT of aeration) to get the PH back to 7.6.

ps: Another funny similarity is that I also have the same two test kits as you. This is before I found this site and the dope at Leslie's didn't know the difference between the DPD and the FAS-DPD kits, so I bought the cheaper kit.

I usually don't use the water feature, in order to keep pH down. But I was following pool school's recommendation of aerating after bring the pH down to 7.2. Maybe I'll just keep the falls off and let the pump do the aerating. My pump creates quite a vortex where the return jets are located. I think 1.5hp was overkill for my 14k gal pool.

Bignick, nice to finally see a Sac area person on here. I am sure there are others. I assume the Leslie's you refer to is the one off Laguna Blvd? If so, they are really bad, or play the role. The guy acted like he never heard of CYA and insisted I buy the trichlor. I was in there to get stabilizer after draining, that was it. Anyway, that was the last time I was in there. I've resorted to ordering testing stuff through TFP sponsers/supporters.

If you use liquid chlorine, where are you getting it locally? I go to Orchard Hardware, $7 for 2 gals of 10% hypochlorite. Wish I could find 12%, but I am not sure it is sold in California.

tedinelkgrove said:
If you use liquid chlorine, where are you getting it locally? I go to Orchard Hardware, $7 for 2 gals of 10% hypochlorite. Wish I could find 12%, but I am not sure it is sold in California.

Ted, it is sold in Cal. You might have to call around to find it, though. Here in the Central Valley, almost all the poolstores carry it, even Leslies.

I buy 12.5% at a local mom and pop store for $15.25 OTD for 4 gals.

Keep searching, you'll find some.

C-Ya!! Mike

tedinelkgrove said:
Bignick, nice to finally see a Sac area person on here. I am sure there are others. I assume the Leslie's you refer to is the one off Laguna Blvd? If so, they are really bad, or play the role. The guy acted like he never heard of CYA and insisted I buy the trichlor. I was in there to get stabilizer after draining, that was it. Anyway, that was the last time I was in there. I've resorted to ordering testing stuff through TFP sponsers/supporters.

Yes, the Leslie's on Laguna. I usually go there on the weekend when the cute females are working, but I just buy what I need and don't ask questions. I have an SWG, so I don't buy chlorine. You might check with All Clear Pool on Elk Grove-Florin or the new Sage Pools on W. Stockton Blvd. in the Macaroni Grill parking lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.