Filter big enough?

Aug 6, 2009
Phila PA
Hi All,

Just moved in a new home with a pool. From what i can calculate the pool is around 20k gal in ground painted plaster. The filter system has a new Hayward 1 hp max flow pump. The filter on the other hand must be 20+ years old sand filter. I opened it up the other day since it has a band half way around it it looks like it has 50-100lbs of sand in it. I they sales man at the pool store said I must get a new DE filter right away. He said sand filters are no good for an IG pool. I do believe I need a new filter, but do I really have to get a DE filter? Also for the rest of the season (6-7 weeks) I plan on just replaceing 100lbs of sand in the filter, do you think this is enough for this season?

Thanks,

The guy at the pool store is pulling your leg, yes DE does filter to the finest particle but sand filters are the only filters we sell. All filter types work with in-grounds. Although saying one filter is better than another is like talking about politics or religion. I prefer sand filters since they have a permanent media (yes some say to change the sand every 4 years but the filters work better when they are half-way dirty anyways) and are cleaned via backwash and there is no earth to add after cleaning the filter. for 20k gal I would use a Hayward S244T and we've recently switched from Mystic White pool sand to Zeobest (zeobest costs more and some are skeptical on how much better it filters) But I like the idea of how it is lighter and may backwash better because of this. Regardless, there are pros and cons to every type of filter.. I prefer sand, I believe most on here would prefer DE since it does filter to a smaller particle regardless all the filters will keep the pool clear with balanced water. Also if your filter is 20+ years old I'd say wait until next season and replace the entire filter not just the sand. 20+ years old means it's probably a fiberglass tank that if it's exposed to the sun is probably shedding fibers like a sheep dog.

I have a 24" sand filter on a similar pool. It holds 300lbs of sand. I'm very happy with it. It sounds like your filter is too small for your pump and pool. A DE filter does a great job of cleaning the water, but it can become overwhelmed when the dirt load is high from blown in debris or algae in the water. Sand isn't quite the water polisher that a DE filter is, but the are pretty rugged and can deal with cleaning a mess.

The filter is made of stainless steel so no fiber glass. I think I will get a 300lb+ sand filter with a new valve since my old valve is also probaly the same age as the filter and only has two setings (filter, Backwash). I will get some pics off this filter so you guys can laugh at how old it is :mrgreen:

Update: Last night I opened the filter ( it has a wasteband so it splits in two) and removed the old sand. I was only able to add 100lbs of new sand which is about an 10-12 inch bed of sand. Closed it all up and it is running good. Only thing is my PSI is only at 7. The returns are like spa jets. Im guessing the this is because I have too much pump and not enough sand. Do you guys think this setup will filter my pool enough or do I really need to get a new filter ASAP? My pool has been cloudy since I killed an allage bloom last week. I have been brushing as often and vacuming as much as I can but it doesn't seem to make a dent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.