How often are you adding chlorine?

Aug 7, 2009
I am doing the BBB method and so far so good. I find I am adding chlorine about every other day. Is this normal? Our pool does get used daily and we are in FL with lots of sunlight. CC has consistently been 0. The service who was maintaining it before, would add chlorine once a week but put some trichlor pucks in the skimmer. After his last visit he put a few pucks in it and I only had to add chlorine once in a 10 day period which was nice. Now I am at every other day without the pucks. Does this seem reasonable? I must say it was nice having the pucks in the skimmer and very tempting to use. I will stick to my guns and the BBB method...I think. Thanks for the input.

Yes, that's very reasonable. I use a Liquidator made by HASA, which contiinuously doses chlorine from bleach or liquid shock. It's a very convenient product, but the manufacturer doesn't support it very well.

I add everyday, even though I could probably go every other. My FC range is 2-6ppm, and I usually get a FC reading of 3.5-4.5ppm at sunset after a full day of sun. I always bring it back up to 6. My CYA is 30, so I may bring it up to 40 to try and minimize chlorine loss even more.

I've switched to bbb this summer and am now fairly balanced, but with CYA of 40 and this NJ sun lately i'm losing about 2ppm FC a day.. So to confirm - the poolcalc says I should be adding about a gallon 124oz of bleach everyday.. is that normal? Just seems like an awful lot of bleach to keep on hand and a huge waste of plastic... i'm not sure I can keep up with the runs to the walmart!

Is this what everyone is doing for the most part?

I add to mine every 2 days also. I usually buy 8 182oz jugs at a time, and that gets me though half the month.

If you don't like buying that many jugs, see of your local pool store has any liquid chlorine they can sell you. Most are 5 gallon buckets around 12% strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just remembered I noticed a billboard a few days ago, out in the country (actually just between Lake Conroe and Montgomery) that was for a septic service company. I noted that they mentioned they have chlorine.... Has anyone ever pursued that sort of source for chlorine? I need to dig up the phone number one day before quittin' time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.