Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often are you adding chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often are you adding chlorine?

I am doing the BBB method and so far so good. I find I am adding chlorine about every other day. Is this normal? Our pool does get used daily and we are in FL with lots of sunlight. CC has consistently been 0. The service who was maintaining it before, would add chlorine once a week but put some trichlor pucks in the skimmer. After his last visit he put a few pucks in it and I only had to add chlorine once in a 10 day period which was nice. Now I am at every other day without the pucks. Does this seem reasonable? I must say it was nice having the pucks in the skimmer and very tempting to use. I will stick to my guns and the BBB method...I think. Thanks for the input.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often are you adding chlorine?

Yes, that's very reasonable. I use a Liquidator made by HASA, which contiinuously doses chlorine from bleach or liquid shock. It's a very convenient product, but the manufacturer doesn't support it very well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I add bleach daily when I know the pool will be used. If I know it won't be used for several days, I add a larger amount that will suffice for 3-4 days.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

I test and add daily when I am here, but I am gone one day for every two days I'm home. but when I'm home I definitely test and add daily just cause I don't want to risk going below my minimum on the chart. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I too, test and add Bleach daily. I am losing 2-3ppm daily (full sun). I bump my FC level up to 6 each evening so my FC never falls below my minimum of 3 (CYA of 40).
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

6. Back To Top    #6

Those pucks are a luxury item -- if your CYA allows, you can have a few, but don't get hooked on 'em! Kinda like fancy desserts, best saved for vacations not everyday.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

I add every other day, usually. I always bring the level up to my max and the second day it is at or just above my min in my range for my CYA.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I add everyday, even though I could probably go every other. My FC range is 2-6ppm, and I usually get a FC reading of 3.5-4.5ppm at sunset after a full day of sun. I always bring it back up to 6. My CYA is 30, so I may bring it up to 40 to try and minimize chlorine loss even more.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

9. Back To Top    #9

I've switched to bbb this summer and am now fairly balanced, but with CYA of 40 and this NJ sun lately i'm losing about 2ppm FC a day.. So to confirm - the poolcalc says I should be adding about a gallon 124oz of bleach everyday.. is that normal? Just seems like an awful lot of bleach to keep on hand and a huge waste of plastic... i'm not sure I can keep up with the runs to the walmart!

Is this what everyone is doing for the most part?

10. Back To Top    #10

I add to mine every 2 days also. I usually buy 8 182oz jugs at a time, and that gets me though half the month.

If you don't like buying that many jugs, see of your local pool store has any liquid chlorine they can sell you. Most are 5 gallon buckets around 12% strength.
    32'x16' vinyl in-ground. 8' Deep, 3' Shallow
    Est. 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 300lb Sand filter w/SP-0714T valve assembly.
    Hayward 1 1/2HP Super Pump swapped with a A.O. Smith Dual Speed Motor.
    1 Skim, 1 Drain, 2 Outlets

11. Back To Top    #11

I just remembered I noticed a billboard a few days ago, out in the country (actually just between Lake Conroe and Montgomery) that was for a septic service company. I noted that they mentioned they have chlorine.... Has anyone ever pursued that sort of source for chlorine? I need to dig up the phone number one day before quittin' time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.