New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

I'll have to live vicariously through your build for now so I also hope you see some major progress this week!! :) I'll be following along for sure.

Well I came home to this yesterday!

SAM_1791.jpg

Coping! However, there are some issues...tell me if I'm just being too picky. There are a bunch of places where it is not even on the OUTSIDE edge. The inside edge toward the pool looks fine. But the outside...there are some places where there is like a 2" difference between the edge of stones. Not sure if they go around and cut it even before the pavers or what. You can see it pretty clearly here:

SAM_1792.jpg

I think that if I just came home one day and had an entire pool built and ready to go many things that I tend to over-scrutinize probably wouldn't bother me in the least (or I wouldn't notice them). But when things get done so slowly and piecemeal, I think I tend to look at everything under a microscope.

However in this case, I'm just glad something got done and I'm inclined to mention it to the PB but not push for a redo. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

Overall, I'm really happy with the organic look of the flagstone. Oh and I had another work trailer parked in my driveway too, so I hope that means more work today and tomorrow.

Well I came home to this yesterday!

View attachment 78362

Coping! However, there are some issues...tell me if I'm just being too picky. There are a bunch of places where it is not even on the OUTSIDE edge. The inside edge toward the pool looks fine. But the outside...there are some places where there is like a 2" difference between the edge of stones. Not sure if they go around and cut it even before the pavers or what. You can see it pretty clearly here:

View attachment 78363

I think that if I just came home one day and had an entire pool built and ready to go many things that I tend to over-scrutinize probably wouldn't bother me in the least (or I wouldn't notice them). But when things get done so slowly and piecemeal, I think I tend to look at everything under a microscope.

However in this case, I'm just glad something got done and I'm inclined to mention it to the PB but not push for a redo. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

Overall, I'm really happy with the organic look of the flagstone. Oh and I had another work trailer parked in my driveway too, so I hope that means more work today and tomorrow.

We have bluestone which looks exactly like your stone. Our outside edge is totally straight with no gaps like you have. What kind of deck are you getting? We had poured concrete and they put foam between the coping and the deck.

Our decking will be pavers.

I can't imagine they are going to go cut that now but maybe they are. It is sloppy they should have corrected that during the installation. My coping installer laid out exactly all of the bluestone on the edge before cementing anything in. They played around with it until it was perfect.

I would say they will just cut the outside to neaten off those spots. Good idea getting it in writing though.

Ha we signed in December too. Must have been the month they were accepting slow contracts! Mind you our summer holidays is Dec/Jan so pretty much nothing happens during those months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well you aren't going to believe this...PB sent people to work at our house on Saturday...on a holiday weekend!! I almost fell over, LOL. AND they are working at our house today too! Miracles! Pics tomorrow.

And in other news, I finished building the doggy cabana. Now I have to finish it and deck it out with a comfy cushion. Spoiled doggy. :D

dogCabana3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I would say they will just cut the outside to neaten off those spots. Good idea getting it in writing though.

I think your are right Riley00Dog...that's what the PB said. Not sure why they wait to do that but it looks like that gets done when the pavers are installed. Can't wait, it feels like we are actually getting close now.

Thanks Kim! Yes that is the challenge...getting him in there. I actually think he'll love it. He wants to be with us (well, me ;)) all the time and he will only lay down in comfy spots like cushions or the grass. Never hard floors or concrete. So strange, other dogs seem to love the coolness of those surfaces.

Captain, yes the decking and the additional patio. So can't wait until I'm not looking at dirt any more. I'm pretty sure you can relate.

Cut up hotdogs and mix them in the peanut butter!

Great idea, sounds like he'll love it!

So here is the progress from yesterday...they got all the crushed stone down and compacted. Hopefully some pavers going in today but I won't know until I get home as nobody had arrived by the time I left for work. But still no tile, dang it!

SAM_1809.jpgSAM_1810.jpg

We have decking!! And I think it turned out great. :D They did a much nicer job marrying up to our existing pavers than I thought was possible. If you look at the original rendering we were going to just put stepping stones in between because I didn't think putting them together would work. But my PB came out and said that is was no problem! I think they actually pulled up the edges of the existing and relaid them to get them nice and flush and even. Super excited that this is done.

I spent most of Saturday cleaning up stuff around the yard and re-stacking three pallets of blue stone so they can move it out of my front yard. Phew, we are finally starting to see the end!

SAM_1823.jpg

SAM_1827.jpg

SAM_1832.jpg

SAM_1833.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.