New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

kristmas

Silver Supporter
Oct 5, 2017
Mt. Airy, Maryland
Hi Everyone...I've been slowing absorbing everything TFP has to offer since around September of last year when I decided to take the plunge! We are now in the midst of our build and I thought I would share our progress. Here are some details:

20x39 Freeform IG shotcrete pool
All Pentair equipment w/automation (2 Intelliflo High Performance VS pumps/EasyTouch8 with screenlogic2/DE filter)
8' deep end
3 benches (one w/step)
Large sun shelf w/umbrella sleeve
Removable stair railing (haven't picked one yet)
Irregular flagstone coping
Wet Edge Luna Quartz (Aruba)
2 side returns
3 floor returns (not sure how these were plumbed) for solar recirculation
2 skimmers
Eclipse main drain
Jump rock
Waterfall by AQ
Techo-bloc paver walkway and patio (approx. 670 sq ft.)
SR Smith basketball hoop :bball: for the kid :D (omg, I can't believe how much this thing cost)​

Here are some renderings:

Madden 1.1_001.jpg

Madden 1.1_004.jpg

Right now we have a shell. Progress has been pretty slow since the shell was done partially due to this crazy northeast weather (snow in April, ridiculous!) and IMHO partly because of the inexplicable lag/break/hiatus that all PBs seem to have after concrete (at least that's how it seems up here). But I met with the waterfall guy on Monday so hopefully more action in the coming week...and better weather too!

SAM_1562.jpg

We have had one little uh-oh on part of the PB. The sunshelf was over-built by about a foot and a half. Sure a very large sun shelf is going to great but losing that much width in my shallow end caused me a few sleepless nights. The PB actually (slightly reluctantly but did) offered to chip it out and re-do. But my practical side said no because I really didn't want the build delayed by a month (or whatever it would have been) and I'm going to instead hit him up for some extras later on...like fixing my yard!!

Thanks for letting me share...I get the sense this is a really great community of people (and knowledge!) that will be invaluable as we get to the end of this build and beyond. Can't wait for my son's first cannonball!

--Kristin

Attachments

• SAM_1438.jpg
    SAM_1438.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,056
If you haven't already committed to it, consider this much less expensive alternative: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MAF47A
$90 instead of $900, and you can move it if you don't like the location you chose.

Great idea! Sadly, I've committed...it is in my contract. Funny, I have 2 or 3 of the over-the-door versions throughout the inside of the house. I never knew about this version.

HI! FUN TIMES! OH SO PRETTY!!!

If they have not ordered the B-ball hoop them might take it off for you............never hurts to ask!!

So you are starting us right where I share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info so this gives you time to read it and start learning how to care for your pool. It will all start to sink in once you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

This is also a good time to ask your PB what test kit he is providing you. Tell us which one it is so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

If they have not ordered the B-ball hoop them might take it off for you............never hurts to ask!!

Thanks Kim! Yes, it doesn't hurt to ask...I'll do that.

This is also a good time to ask your PB what test kit he is providing you. Tell us which one it is so we can fill in any holes.

My contract doesn't say, but I have a feeling I'll end up getting the TF-100...I have my coupon all ready! I'll find out and post back.

Looking fantastic! We're still waiting on our permit but you're post has me getting extra antsy/excited to break ground soon. Can't wait to see the progress :)

Great choice on the basketball hoop. I think it will look fabulous. It's only money! You can make more.

Looking fantastic! We're still waiting on our permit but you're post has me getting extra antsy/excited to break ground soon. Can't wait to see the progress :)

Thanks!! It's amazing how how happy a hole in the ground with concrete can make a person (myself included):)!

I hope your permitting goes smoothly and you get your hole soon too!

- - - Updated - - -

Great choice on the basketball hoop. I think it will look fabulous. It's only money! You can make more.

HaHa!! Funny how building a pool starts to make one think like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Progress has been pretty slow since the shell was done partially due to this crazy northeast weather (snow in April, ridiculous!) and IMHO partly because of the inexplicable lag/break/hiatus that all PBs seem to have after concrete (at least that's how it seems up here).

Word from my PB was they didn't do tile and coping until the shell had cured for 30 days.

That and they seem to keep all their builds sort of happy and no one all the way happy. Two days here, two days there. Get friendly with them or push harder and its 3 days at your place and 1 day at theirs (or vice versa).

Word from my PB was they didn't do tile and coping until the shell had cured for 30 days.

That and they seem to keep all their builds sort of happy and no one all the way happy. Two days here, two days there. Get friendly with them or push harder and its 3 days at your place and 1 day at theirs (or vice versa).

Well now the timeline makes more sense to me. Thirty days was just up on Monday of this week. For some reason I had in my head a 2-week cure time. I feel better now and anticipate a lot more action next week. Or else!

Looking good! Your design has something for everyone. We had a 30 cure time for our shell and we had to water at least twice a day for the first two weeks. Then the rain set in. We are now about 3-4 weeks delayed unfortunately. Of course it’s a knock on effect and all the trades are delayed so we have another month wait for our next stage. I would keep the sr smith hoop. It will last. If you change your mind though you can delete it from the contract. We have deleted and added several things since the build started. We’ve coughed up for a sr smith slide. Which we’re hoping will wear our boys out!

Looking good! Your design has something for everyone. We had a 30 cure time for our shell and we had to water at least twice a day for the first two weeks. Then the rain set in. We are now about 3-4 weeks delayed unfortunately. Of course it’s a knock on effect and all the trades are delayed so we have another month wait for our next stage. I would keep the sr smith hoop. It will last. If you change your mind though you can delete it from the contract. We have deleted and added several things since the build started. We’ve coughed up for a sr smith slide. Which we’re hoping will wear our boys out!

I really, really, really wanted a huge slide....then I saw how much they cost!! Plus we would've have to have moved our fence to make room for it. I didn't feel like going down that road. So I got a waterfall instead, lol! I'm sure your boys will LOVE it!

I really, really, really wanted a huge slide....then I saw how much they cost!! Plus we would've have to have moved our fence to make room for it. I didn't feel like going down that road. So I got a waterfall instead, lol! I'm sure your boys will LOVE it!

They will love it. We have a tiny pool, with a tiny deck but this huge eyesore is going in! We actually went for a model we could walk under to get to the other side as it will literally take up the entire width of the deck on that side. We figured we are mainly building the pool for them and when they outgrow it, we will just fill the holes with grout and enjoy our deck space.

They will love it. We have a tiny pool, with a tiny deck but this huge eyesore is going in! We actually went for a model we could walk under to get to the other side as it will literally take up the entire width of the deck on that side. We figured we are mainly building the pool for them and when they outgrow it, we will just fill the holes with grout and enjoy our deck space.

I can't wait to see it on your build!

- - - Updated - - -

Keep that coupon ready for sure! That badge looks good over there!!

We had one PB that gave the PO a SAMPLE set of test strips!!! :shock: He sure went all out :roll: LOL

Kim, I just got word back from the PB...Taylor K-1000 kit comes with our pool. Is this a good kit? Should I get anything in addition to that?

There are only two tests that kit can do.........the FC BUT only up to 5 and the pH. The PH is okay. The 1000 is the smallest kit available and only costs about $10.00. You will need to order the TF-100 for use. Good job checking! Look in my siggy for the link to where to order it from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.