New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

We have 1.25 acres. I have no idea about an engineering study and the inspector didn't mention anything like that.

Would the county issue a permit without the initial building inspection? Seems odd that they would.

Also, at least some of the things on your list look like they would be required before the permit could be issued.

Didn't you say earlier that you have a Frederick county permitting search website? I checked a little looks like you don't have a nice online permitting point like MC has. I just put my address in and all permits ever done on my property comes up with status of each. The above list I got from there.

Permit Project Status | Frederick County MD - Official Website

Yeah, in Frederick County the permit search/results is less than desirable. Definitely not comprehensive like white MC has, you're lucky!

Funny, a few minutes ago the PB called me out of the blue. This is the second time he's called since installing the anchors for b-ball and stair rail.

Him: "Just want to make sure everything is ok and that everything is done."

Same exact thing he said to me last time. I keep wondering why he calls and says that? If he wants his final payment, I'm not sure why he doesn't just say so. Of course, I have no intention of paying until I get that final inspection. And even then, I should deduct for all this trouble.

After a ridiculous conversation of him being shocked and angry that they failed it and me saying things like "didn't you know that they would have to see that" and "this should have been done back in June", etc...he says he is going to come and fix it and call for another inspection. Then goes on to say that they usually just 'pass' those things and accused this inspector of 'being anal about it'. I wonder how the MHIC would feel hearing this type of thing?

I seriously doubt that they even knew or bothered to check for an outstanding electrical inspection. Ugh, complete morons in my opinion.

OK, non PB rant related question...

I'm pretty confused on how to handle the pool once it is closed which turns out to be today! They came while I was at work to install the anchors for the cover and close everything up but I didn't get a chance to check the PH yesterday and now I'm a little worried. Even if it was perfect won't it start to climb again?

So do I need to worry about my PH over the winter? Should I be popping open the cover, checking it and trying to balance it? Of course I'd have no way to circulate it around unless I put the robot in there also. Thoughts?

OK, non PB rant related question...

I'm pretty confused on how to handle the pool once it is closed which turns out to be today! They came while I was at work to install the anchors for the cover and close everything up but I didn't get a chance to check the PH yesterday and now I'm a little worried. Even if it was perfect won't it start to climb again?

So do I need to worry about my PH over the winter? Should I be popping open the cover, checking it and trying to balance it? Of course I'd have no way to circulate it around unless I put the robot in there also. Thoughts?

How long has your pool had water in it now? Did you brush it for a month? If so, no big deal, it'll keep until next year. My water is at 53 today so I assume yours is about the same. All I worried about over winter was that I had any chlorine reading at all. I opened a corner every month and tested for chlorine. Mine was opened only around 3 months last year (new build).

How long has your pool had water in it now? Did you brush it for a month? If so, no big deal, it'll keep until next year. My water is at 53 today so I assume yours is about the same. All I worried about over winter was that I had any chlorine reading at all. I opened a corner every month and tested for chlorine. Mine was opened only around 3 months last year (new build).

I brushed for a week after plaster. It has had water in it for about 3 1/2 months.

So you didn't worry about PH at all?

I brushed for a week after plaster. It has had water in it for about 3 1/2 months.

So you didn't worry about PH at all?

I want to say I tested it and may have added acid once over winter but truthfully I forget. I got the below to circulate water for the chemical additions. I left it in the water for 3 months which was a mistake as it started to rust and stained the bottom. I got it all off but these cheap pumps should be taken out when done.

Super Deal 1/2HP Submersible Clean/Dirty Water Pump 2000GPH Swimming Pool Pond Flood Drain w/ Float Switch and Cable - - Amazon.com

Also generally they say brush for a month. I did mine 2x daily for a month. After a couple weeks I think you can cut down to every couple days. If your plaster is smooth you are ok though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for reminding me though my closing is Monday and I was going to add a gallon of Muriatic before then. Need to hit WaterCrafters tomorrow!

Ok, I'm going to try, really try and not stress over it...I've done enough of that with this pool! I supposed between high and low, high PH is the lesser of the two evils. Although not desirable, if scale happens at least it CAN be remedied. Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: After PB called me on 11/8 and found out that the electrical inspection failed and said that he would call me on Sunday (11/11) I never heard from him. Shocking. I know.

Just got a phone call from him about 10 minutes ago. Well, a month late is better than never I guess. He tells me they are coming out on Wednesday the 12th to expose the bond wires and get the electrical inspection done.

Should be interesting. I completely forgot to remind him that he said he was going to get the trim pieces and caps for the stair rail! I'm sure if I email him now it will still not get done. Can't. Wait. For. This. To. Be. Over.

How much should I deduct from what I owe him????!!!!

You are SO CLOSE to being done with it all. :) I also think an offer of 5K-ish sounds reasonable given what you've gone through. Has he recently asked for payment?

Has he recently asked for payment?

Nope! Not once. I told his partner back in July (phone blow-out convo) that I wasn't paying ANYTHING until EVERYTHING was done. And here we are in December! This is insane-o!

I wouldn't pay another dime until everything is completed, especially the electrical inspection.

Absolutely.

And all this time really cost me on my cover. I wanted to shop around for quotes but was eventually forced to go with the only company that I got to come out and measure/quote me for it. It was about $1,500 more than the PB quoted me. But I was out of time and had to get it covered. The other company I called ghosted me on the quote but I feel if I had more time that I could have got a better price on it. So the PB really screwed me there.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I mention in my previous post (I can't remember) that Frederick County also told me that they didn't have an initial building inspection on file? I almost fell over when the inspector told me that. I still don't know what the consequences of that will be. He said they will likely waive it and just do the final building inspection. But I feel like I really shouldn't make any final payment to the PB until I know THAT won't also be an issue.

So how much do they need to rip up cause of bonding inspection? U have a back side that can be accessed right but what about the other spots off the rebar shell under pavers? I hope it all works out. And I’m sure it will. Man don’t give up anymore money. Instead of ripping up anything forcthe bonding can an engineer just verify the bonding with a continuality or electrical bonding test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.