Small Yard, Big Pool Dreams - New Build - Lakewood, California

hollywoodfrodo

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
Lakewood, CA
Hey Everyone - I've been perusing this forum for the last couple of months as we've gotten closer to actually starting our new pool build. Demo day is happening this week so now it's full steam ahead. I'll be using this thread to take you through my journey. I also have a YouTube channel and am going to do a video blog series taking people through the process so I'll post those videos in here as I add them - some will be describing the process of some things - others will be time lapse videos of things happening. Pictures and Videos always do way more for me than text!

I figured I'd start off with a list of what we're doing and some pics of our backyard and the pool build render and a sketch I did so you can get an idea of where the pool is going and what our goal is for what it will look like. Our yard is very small - we live in Lakewood, CA and anyone who lives in SoCal knows land is a premium. Initially, before we bought this house I wanted a Fiberglass pool, but once we settled on our house we know with a yard as small as ours, we'd have to do gunite in order to be able to customize and maximize the space for the pool.

Here are the specs:
Total Sq Footage of Pool: 418
Total Perimeter Footage of Pool: 84
Pool Size (approx because it's very free form): 18' x 32'
Depth: 4'6" - entire pool

Pool Details:

Shotcrete Structure
4 Entry Steps on one end
2 Baja Benches w/Umbrella Sleeves
24" Raised Garden Wall with Weeping Wall Water Feature
Pentair Intelliflo 2VST Variable Speed Pump
Pentair Mastertemp 400BTU NG LOW NOX Gas Heater
- Deep Heat System with 3 pool returns in pool floor
Pentair 420sq ft Cartridge Filter
Pentair Intellichlor IC60 Salt System
Easytouch 8 Wireless Remote & Screenlogics 2
2 Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED Pool Lights

Still to be determined:
Pool finish - leaning towards Quartzscapes, thinking of dark finish like Curacao Night but toying w/idea of mixing Curacao Night & Barbados Blue http://www.nptpool.com/finishes/quartzscapes/quartzscapes-caribbean-series
Water Line Tile - Going to look at tiles this weekend

Outside the pool:

Belgard Pavers - leaning towards Catalina Grana, Montecito Color, Small & Large Unit Pattern E http://www.belgard.com/products/pavers/catalina-grana
12x12 Yardistry Gazebo (from Costco) https://www.costco.com/12'-x-12'-Cedar-Gazebo-with-Aluminum-Roof.product.100378912.html
Covering pool garden wall as well as all cylinder block walls around our yard with Gold Rush Ledger Natural Slate Tile https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Gol...ases-60-sq-ft-pallet-LPNLSGLDRUS624/206060408
Adding removable mesh fence between house and garage (to meet code)
Adding Vinyl Gate between garage and back wall (to hide pool equipment)
3 Chaise lounge chairs from Costco for sundeck
Furniture for under gazebo - TBD

Here are some pics of our backyard:

Here is my sketch of the layout:

And here are the renders from our builder:

Thanks for checking it all out and I hope you enjoy taking this crazy ride with us!
Please feel free to offer up any advice or opinions or ask any questions or make any requests.

Wow, what a transformation that's going to be. It's going to be amazing. Love the renders!!

Are you getting one of these, or something like it? Takes care of fill and overflow without you needing to do anything. Probably are, just checking.

Pool Water Leveler By PoolMiser | The Original Pool Spa Water Leveler

No deep end? Not possible in that space? I loves me my deep end.

I wish those block walls could be softened. A finish? Some plants? Vines? To my eye they're dominating the scene a bit too much for my taste, and their pattern is fighting with the deck. See how the stucco wall, even though much bigger, is not as present?

Some designers (and clients) like that kind of industrial thing. And that's cool. I lean more to the organic...

Strike that, just found it in your list. Nice!

Looks like all your pool lights are shining away from eyes. Check!

Going to be living there forever? Or got elderly family/friends? A handrail can be installed as removable, with hidden-ish mounting fixtures. Leave it off most of the time, but ready for grammy and gramps' visit, or for you when the time comes. I wouldn't want to look at one, but I think I'll be wanting one before long. They can be added later, but not ideal for strength.

Got enough room for a couple chaise lounges? Nice to have, though they take up a lot of real estate.

Oops, you got that too, You're good!

More later, I'm sure...

Congrats on your new pool build:wave: This should be a great to watch:cheers: Have you thought about a place to put the TV? And what about a summer kitchen? :cheers:

But about the doggy???? No grass for him? LOL

I LOVE everything you have done so far. Looks like a good use of the yard. No inch left over for sure!

Talk to me about the mesh fence..........where will it go?

Kim:kim:

Are you getting one of these, or something like it? Takes care of fill and overflow without you needing to do anything. Probably are, just checking. Pool Water Leveler By PoolMiser | The Original Pool Spa Water Leveler

No deep end? Not possible in that space? I loves me my deep end.

Going to be living there forever? Or got elderly family/friends? A handrail can be installed as removable, with hidden-ish mounting fixtures. Leave it off most of the time, but ready for grammy and gramps' visit, or for you when the time comes. I wouldn't want to look at one, but I think I'll be wanting one before long. They can be added later, but not ideal for strength..

- Yes - something like it. I was lamely thinking that we'd have to fill the pool from time-to-time with a hose and my builder corrected me that it would be automatic and not involve a hose.

- If it were a bigger, longer pool, then perhaps I'd want a deep end, but maybe not. I want it deep enough to swim, but appreciate being able to stand and walk around the entire pool.

- You're not the first person I've seen on here recommending the hand rail. I'm gonna have to talk to my spouse about that one and see what we want. I guess it never hurts to at least have that option...so long as it doesn't add a lot to the costs cause we are really pushing our budget limits on this one!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your new pool build:wave: This should be a great to watch:cheers: Have you thought about a place to put the TV? And what about a summer kitchen? :cheers:

Haha - if you knew me, you'd know I've thought about everything! Probably overthought - just the way I am. To start, we'll probably mount a TV under the Gazebo. Until we get it installed not sure how or what size, but that's the plan. In the future (after our budget recovers from this project) we want to turn the garage into a pool house of sorts and have a large TV in there but on a rolling car so it could easily be rolled right outside the garage and pointed towards the pool.

As for the kitchen, don't really have the space for an "outdoor kitchen" like many people have, but we do have a gas grill and we do plan on putting a table/chairs/umbrella in front of the garage. As you can tell, we don't actually use our garage for parking cars - no one in Lakewood does.

- - - Updated - - -

But about the doggy???? No grass for him? LOL

Talk to me about the mesh fence..........where will it go?

Actually, we are creating a new space for the dog - not a large space, but at least a space for her to go potty. I didn't include it on the list since it's not directly related to the pool, but the side of our house (behind where the gazebo will be) is currently just bark covered dirt. We are having a fence installed there on our property line and then will probably do fake grass and that will be a dog run. She is gonna miss the yard, but we're determined to get her to love the pool...

The mesh fence is going between the corner of the garage and the corner of our den. I just noticed the sketch I included shows the latest of everything but not where the fence is going. I'll have to add a new diagram that shows that...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just jawin'...

When I questioned another member here about his planter, which was very similar to yours, he admitted that it was a total pain and he hated keeping it up. Not trying to talk you out of yours, as it is beautiful and pretty much the center piece of the pool, the whole yard, really. But it is going to be a challenge to maintain (weeding, trimming, etc). Plant selection could make a big difference. Mulch for weeds, etc.

In the renders, you have the bench under most of it, which could be a place to stand and work on that planter. In your drawings, the bench is elsewhere and would offer no help. So you'd have to squat, or sit backwards, on the wall.

I'm overthinking, but it's tough to find anything wrong with your design, so I'm forced to nitpick!! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I don't see a drain in the renders. Going drainless? I deleted mine in a recent remodel. Really like not having them, for a bunch of reasons...

Just jawin'...
Oh, I don't see a drain in the renders. Going drainless? I deleted mine in a recent remodel. Really like not having them, for a bunch of reasons...

As for the planter, I don't think it'll be a huge deal - where did the other person live? We live in SoCal and are planning on all drought tolerant plants/small palms and will most definitely have a serious weed barrier laid. Plus it's our water feature which I'm super excited about. If push comes to shove and the plants prove to be a time-consuming pain, then there are always non-living options... I can be creative if I need to. Also, there is a Down Guy Wire from the telephone pole in that area. Having the wall + plants will make it almost disappear!

As for the bench - yeah, it was gonna be there UNTIL we decided to have the raised planter wall. Aside from a stepping stool, a baja bench doesn't make much sense in front of a raised wall and water feature so it's going to be moved to where it is in the diagram.

By drain, do you mean Skimmer or actual Drain? Neither are in the renders, but we will have both. I believe there are very strict rules about the draining system here. One thing about Cali and Los Angeles County in particular - there are rules and regulations about EVERYTHING!

Oh you need to include EVERYTHING in your thread. With the video of her wagging her happy tail she has become a part of the TFP family along with you and your pool! LOL We had one build where the goat was the star of the build! SO CUTE!

Thanks for the addition of where the fences will go. Now I can see it and understand what you what.

So your next job is to list your equipment. Make sure to include model numbers and such so we can make sure they are big enough for your pool!

Main/bottom drain-they are no required. IF you do have one is where the BIG rules come in-they must follow the "VIRGINIA GRAEME BAKER POOL AND SPA SAFETY ACT". You can have a set of two round ones like this:

http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6347

Or you can use a "channel drain" like this:

http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/ This is my fav. You can get the round ones with covers that the plaster can fit in as well.

Kim, you stole my thunder! ;) If I had to have a drain, it'd be that "channel drain." Too cool.

The building codes can be vague. Not about what the drain system needs to be if you have one, that'll be crystal clear, but rather about whether you have to have one or not. Some PBs swear by them, others are more "progressive" about 'em, as more and more pools are being built without drains.

You don't need a drain to drain a pool, and there are better ways to achieve good circulation than by using a drain. So, for me anyway, it came down to not having to look at it, not having to trip over it, not having to free my vac from getting stuck on it, and the safety issues.

Something to think about, ask your PB about, especially since your pool will have a lot of "foot traffic," wondering around in it, bench to bench, etc.

The planter will be fine, it's a must regardless, because it's awesome. If it comes to it, there's artificial stuff now that looks amazing.

What are you doing for a cleaning system?

So here is what the final proposal says about drains:
"Dual Suction Main Drains"
"A p-trap must be installed for discharge of pool water into a minimum 3 inch sewer clean out." (I think this is a local code requirement...
"Pool main drain covers to be anti-vortex type for anti-entrapment."

Funny, I never really though much about the drains until now. Just when you think you've thought of everything... Now I'm concerned because as you say, with a 4'6" depth, people will be walking everywhere in the pool...

I emailed my sales/design rep to inquire about the necessity of a drain and what type they will be. We'll see...

So here is what the final proposal says about drains:
"Dual Suction Main Drains"
"A p-trap must be installed for discharge of pool water into a minimum 3 inch sewer clean out." (I think this is a local code requirement...
"Pool main drain covers to be anti-vortex type for anti-entrapment."

Funny, I never really though much about the drains until now. Just when you think you've thought of everything... Now I'm concerned because as you say, with a 4'6" depth, people will be walking everywhere in the pool...

I emailed my sales/design rep to inquire about the necessity of a drain and what type they will be. We'll see...

Hi perhaps you would go with 4' 10" for the depth of the pool, ours is perfect for us at 4'10" - 5' when the pool is really full. We wanted a pool where we could stand all over with a beverage in our hands. What about turning the garage into a summer kitchen. I can see double double doors and a bar / shelf area with perhaps sliding windows and bar stools on the other side. Also you could have a place to put bathroom in there. So many possibilities:cheers:

That code/design snippet is an example of what I meant. It is dictating what you must have/do if you have a drain, it doesn't actually say that you have to have one. That might be handled by another piece of code, of course. Or not. And when I wrote "Some PBs swear by them" I was going easy. Some PBs insist on them, because that's what they know, and that's the kind of circulation system that they know how to build. So a PB might even claim "Oh, you have to have one, it's code." even if that's not actually true, either because he doesn't actually know, or because he just wants to put the issue to bed. Point is, if you think about it, and decide you don't want a drain, and the PB insists it must be there, you might have to be a little more, uh, proactive about it to get what you want. You might not want to pick that battle if he resists, that's up to you. But just remember, you have to live with it, he'll be long gone...

Sorry, probably didn't need to fire that up just yet. But a PB doing what he wants, instead of what the customer wants, happens a lot around here. See what the rep says first...

That code/design snippet is an example of what I meant. See what the rep says first...

Yeah, I heard back from him. He said what you said - that the drains are not required by code. He said they recommend them partially because the skimmer serves as the main drain to the pump but if the water line happens to fall below the line, the drains serve as backup to protect the pump. Although he did say that there is another way to protect the pump by using a balance line in the pool wall as an option.

However, he did point out that the Deep Heat System we're getting uses three returns on the pool floor so those are gonna be on there anyway... I sent him the link that kimkats had included to the channel drain so he could see what type of drain we'd be hoping for on the floor, and basically said I just want to ensure that the drains (and heat returns) are not an eye sore and also do not have a negative impact on walking around the pool since it's a shallower pool.

He's going to bring some options over and talk to his plumber about the options as well and look into the channel drain...

Hi perhaps you would go with 4' 10" for the depth of the pool, ours is perfect for us at 4'10" - 5' when the pool is really full. We wanted a pool where we could stand all over with a beverage in our hands. What about turning the garage into a summer kitchen. I can see double double doors and a bar / shelf area with perhaps sliding windows and bar stools on the other side. Also you could have a place to put bathroom in there. So many possibilities:cheers:

LOL - I KNOW your pool! I was telling someone the other day about it cause I had seen the pic with it full of people a few weeks ago. So yours is 4'10"? We settled on 4'6" because it seems to be the standard depth of most resort pools and we were concerned about shorter people being able to comfortably walk around if they aren't swimmers... Time to pull out the measuring tape again and see if we feel the extra 4" in depth would be good for us...

We do plan to turn the garage into a pool house/party room. There will likely be a bar, but not a kitchen - the house kitchen is close enough. And I don't think the bathroom would work - definitely couldn't get it permitted. Our city requires a garage that can be parked in - of course you can do anything unpermitted, but a bathroom might be pushing it, though it would be SO nice to have a a convenient bathroom outside of the house.

LOL - I KNOW your pool! I was telling someone the other day about it cause I had seen the pic with it full of people a few weeks ago. So yours is 4'10"? We settled on 4'6" because it seems to be the standard depth of most resort pools and we were concerned about shorter people being able to comfortably walk around if they aren't swimmers... Time to pull out the measuring tape again and see if we feel the extra 4" in depth would be good for us...

We do plan to turn the garage into a pool house/party room. There will likely be a bar, but not a kitchen - the house kitchen is close enough. And I don't think the bathroom would work - definitely couldn't get it permitted. Our city requires a garage that can be parked in - of course you can do anything unpermitted, but a bathroom might be pushing it, though it would be SO nice to have a a convenient bathroom outside of the house.

Keep in mind we built our pool for us as we will be using it 99% of the time. Dw is 5ft2ins and so it was built for her:eek:of course:D she also designed the benches. We only wish we had more benches especially in the shallow end as we find that we just love to sit in the pool and watch tv with adult beverages :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.