Supplementing Chlorine for my inop SWG

bluskyguy

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Charlotte NC
I have a couple of questions concerning my SWG pool. I have a Pentair IC-20 Saltwater generator giving me an indication that the salt level is low ( with this indication the generator is NOT making chlorine ). When I test my salt level it is reading approx 3000 ppm. When I call my pool rep, he tells me the level needs to be at least 3400 preferably 3700ppm in order for my generator to work. My CYA level is fine, but he also teels me this has to be at least a certain level, is this true? Having said all this and having previous problems with my SWG my rep is telling me in October there is a new SWG coming out that he is going to replace. Worst case scenario with my SWG inop until October, will I be able to supplement with large chlorine tabs in my skimmer and maybe shock once a week? What would be best with my worst case scenario? By the way I have a 19,000 gallon vinyl inground with a Pentair sand filter, 1HP pump. Thanks.

Unless your pump runs 24/7 you should not put tabs in the skimmer. A floater or inline chlorinator would be a better option if you have to use tabs.

You would be better off adding a little bleach each night to maintain chlorine levels. Have you read Pool School?

Can you post a full set of test results. We recommend CYA be in the 70-80 range for maintaining proper chlorine levels.

How old is the pool, and the SWG? Can you give a bit more history of when the SWG started to fail.

Can you update your signature to include the specs, go to User Control Panel, then Profile then Edit Signature.

The IC-20 should be generating chlorine with the salt at 3,000. On the other hand all of the salt tests are somewhat imprecise, so your actual salt level could be lower. I would try adding examining the cell to see if there is any calcium scaling, if so that is the problem. Then try adding 200 to 400 ppm of salt, and if that doesn't do it, try re-calibrating the IC-20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.