Water clarity and feel

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
I was so impressed with the water clarity and feel after shocking with bleach for the first time that I have to give a "shout out" to Trouble Free Pool! I do believe that my pool was never shocked correctly using trichlor shock, as it has NEVER looked like it does now. I shocked 2 days ago with 7 gallons of bleach (CYA is in the neighborhood of 80, waiting for more evaporation to do a partial drain-down), and my levels 2 days later are FC 11.5, CC.5, TC 12. I swam in it last night and the feel of the water has dramatically changed from a dry feel to a softened, luxurious feel. Thanks to everyone past and present for input, solutions, problems & work-arounds. TFP rocks!!!!!

yeah...I must say this is a pretty cool forum :wave:

On your CYA...evaporation will not reduce your CYA level...evaporation just concentrates the CYA even further and you end up diluting it when you top off....ie no net decrease.

You want to partially drain the high CYA water and then fill...CYA does not evaporate

No I am actually waiting for a little more evaporation to occur, and then I'm going to do a partial drain-down and refill in the hopes that my CYA will go down a bit. I just hate to dump all that beautiful water out! And reebok I will definitely look into borates when all the issues in my pool have been worked out. Thank you for the tip!

reebok said:
I think he's just saying it will be less water to drain if the water level is already lower (based on previous posts). I don't think it will make much difference though.

The lower the amount of water you physically drain vs evaparation, the less CYA dilution will occur...that's my point

It may be less water to drain, but the water used to replace the evaporated water will not help the OP's CYA goal.

If you have 10k gallons and drain 1k, you have 9000/10000 = 90% of the original CYA remaining.

If you evaporate 500, you still have the same original CYA just in 9500 gallons.
If you then drain another 500 (same total water lost), you have 9000/9500 = 18/19 = ~94.7% of the original CYA remaining. Not as good.

If you evaporate 500 and then drain another 1k, you have 8500/9500 = 17/19 = 89% of the original CYA remaining. Hardly any better than draining the original 1k.

So: Letting it evaporate first is unlikely to help much and could actually make the process take longer.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.