SLAM for Four Days pool still green

jowilk

May 12, 2017
McDonough GA
Pool has been green for about 7 months. Started SLAM when I received my test kit Wed. afternoon and ran out of FAS-DPD Reagent Thurs. afternoon. Ordered large refill which i received Sat. I continued to add 10% chlorine while waiting on the refill. when I tested after the refill arrived FC was at 7ppm. current readings
are
FC 19
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 60
CH 140
CYA 50
I've been shocking at 20ppm and running the pump on high speed since I've started and the color hasn't changed at all. I've put a total of 19Gal of Walmart 10% chlorine since Wednesday. Is this normal? I had to run the CYA test with the pool green. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Hi jowilk,

I was forced to turn my pool off for a week when I went away and it was green when I returned.
I'm now on day 4 of the SLAM process and it has only just turned a very cloudy blue this morning. I can just see the second step down at the shallow end.

I've put around 15 gal of liquid chlorine into it so far.
My pool was only green for about 3-4 days. If yours was green for 7 months then it is reasonable to assume that it may well take some time to clear up.

Are your testing your water after the sun goes down and again first thing in the morning? Last night, I lost very little FC over night and I'm taking that as a good sign.
I'm waiting for refills to arrive as my reagents are somewhat out of date but I expect that I'll be holding the pool at shock level for at least another 4-5 days. It's mid Autumn here at the moment but it's effectively still summer temperature-wise so I need to add some chlorine through the day to offset the losses through the hot sun.

I note that you have a sand filter with which I have no experience. Perhaps someone can advise you how to manage cleaning and back flushing. I'm cleaning my cartridge every second day now.

Just keep doing what you are doing - hold the FC to 20 or a little above and brush. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.