GREEN WATER BUT CHEMISTRY PERFECT! PLS HELP!!!!

Aug 12, 2009
BE GENTLE! its my first time!!
my pool stats: fiberglass shell in ground, 31x14x (3 shallow 9 deep) ~22750gal i think
motor 1 hp ao smith brand new
filter hayward cartridge(stuff doesnt stick to it, comes out through jets!! suggestions?)

i noticed my pool getting cloudy on friday so i tested the water(all good) and immediately took it to the local pool chain to do further testing. they said evtngs fine. by sunday TOTALLY GREEN CANT SEE MY DRAIN!! i though if ph,alk, and cl were good your pool was o.k.? please help me! i didnt think this was sooo harrrrddd!! i run my pool motor 8 hrs a day 9-5 daily. it has been around 90-95 in no california last/this week. thx. pete

Ok, with your level of CYA you should be running at a much higher level of chlorine FC9 and you will need to shock with bleach to reach a breakpoint of FC31 check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Ideally you should partly drain some water to lower your CYA and then re-fill with fresh, however some parts of your country seem to require higher CYA due to very strong sunlight.

You will learn a heck of a lot if you study the Pool School section of this site, Button on the top right.

thank you very much! i will read up. what about the algacide i just added? do i just follow the new directions in the post? and any ideas why my brand new filter lets particles back throug my jets? thx again!

While you're reading through pool school, pay particular attention to the articles in the chemistry section and the articles titled how to defeat algae and how to shock your pool. Algaecide is not needed. Chlorine is the ultimate algaecide which you will learn about and soon see first hand if you follow the method outlined in pool school. Have you been paying attention to the pressure on your filter? When was the last time you cleaned it?

thx fellahs. the psi on the filter is usually right at 9. maybe 10 when dirty but brand new! i wish i kept the sand sometimes when i see stuff blowing back in through the jets while vacuuming! is it necessary to draqin some water to reduce my cya?? its at 80 and the pool calc is reccomending it. it gets really hot here in no cal. gonna be 100 today!

The higher the CYA the higher the level of chlorine that must be maintained, plus the higher shock level. See the chart in my sig.

Sounds like something is not right with your filter.

Please create a signature with your specs - Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Tell us more about the equipment, size of the filter and speed of the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
one of the equipment experts will advice if that pump/filter combo is the right size & combo for your size pool
That pump and filter are fine. In an ideal world the pump could be smaller and the filter larger, but it should work just fine as it is. The filter is rated for 120 GPM in residential usage. It is more difficult to pinpoint the pump, but it is probably moving between 40 and 70 GPM, which is enough for that size pool and not too much for the filter.

Sometimes when you are vacuuming there is some extremely fine dust that can get through the filter and back into the pool as a cloudiness, but nothing that you can actually see individual particles of should make it through the filter. If something of visible size is getting through the filter then something is wrong. You can double check this by putting a nylon stocking on the return and checking to see if anything accumulates in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.