Pump tripping breaker

I have a Hayward Super Pump - 1.5hp The other night the sky opened up and an unbelievable amount of rain fell, covering the skimmers. My pump continues to trip the breaker 220v. I took off the back cover and tightened all the connections, and it was dry inside. The impeller rotates freely. The bearings have been loud the entire season, but the pump worked fine. It's definitely the pump that trips the breaker, because it works fine without the pump plugged in. When I reset it and flip the switch it starts for about a second before it trips the breaker again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

This happened to us in June. On the advice of my father who is an electrician we hooked the pump to an extension cord to see if it was water in the pump or the wiring. In our case it was something in the wiring. The pump worked just fine off the extension cord. In a day or two the water dried up and the wiring worked again. We haven't had any problems since.

lcasciotti said:
This happened to us in June. On the advice of my father who is an electrician we hooked the pump to an extension cord to see if it was water in the pump or the wiring. In our case it was something in the wiring. The pump worked just fine off the extension cord. In a day or two the water dried up and the wiring worked again. We haven't had any problems since.

That's a good idea, but he is operating off of 220 which means this will only work if the pump can be wired for 110 as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.