Status
Not open for further replies.
For about 10 years I had kept my inground pool crystal clear using trichlor tabs with a weekly 48-oz dose of supermarket algicide and clarifier, monitoring Cl but not PH, which I judged wasn't very important. Subsequently I was apprised of the effect of excessive acidity, explaining--aha--why I was never had been able to keep my eyes open underwater

About 60 lb of soda ash was required to bring the Ph up to around 7.6. No that's not a typo; it took 60 lb, sixty

However the addition of this substance also clouded the water. While my sand filter eventually cleared it to where I could plainly make out the drain at the deep end, for the past couple of years it has never been as clear as before, even when I recently doubled the algi-clari dose, making my life just that much more expensive

So can you proffer a guess about the haziness and how can I counter it easily and cheaply. Thanks all, you've been an immense help with other matters too

You need to read Pool School, and you need to invest in one of the recommended Test kits.

This combination will help you achieve the results you desire, with the least amount of expense.

You can clear your pool with a good test kit, bleach, and POP and you won't need algaecide or clarifier. And when I say clear, I mean Sparkly.

I moved this post because it does not belong in the Deep End. The Deep End is described as follows:
"Pondering the deep mysteries of pool chemistry? Plunge into the more technical aspects of pool care". Your last two threads are more of a "just getting started" or BBB for Beginners kind of issues, despite how technical they became, because of this they will remain in the Deep End. But for basic "why is my pool hazy" question, it belongs in a more appropriate location.

Please update your signature to include your pool info/specs. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

If you can post a full set of results, we can advise you better. In the meantime I recommend you order one of the kits, there is an article in Pool School that compares the two we recommend.

from the Urban Dictionary:
dalehileman
an irritating, repetitive message board poster.

yo, if you dalehileman one more time, dude, I'm gonna ban you from this forum!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... alehileman

dalehileman said:
For about 10 years I had kept my inground pool crystal clear using trichlor tabs with a weekly 48-oz dose of supermarket algicide and clarifier, monitoring Cl but not PH, which I judged wasn't very important. Subsequently I was apprised of the effect of excessive acidity, explaining--aha--why I was never had been able to keep my eyes open underwater

About 60 lb of soda ash was required to bring the Ph up to around 7.6. No that's not a typo; it took 60 lb, sixty

However the addition of this substance also clouded the water. While my sand filter eventually cleared it to where I could plainly make out the drain at the deep end, for the past couple of years it has never been as clear as before, even when I recently doubled the algi-clari dose, making my life just that much more expensive

So can you proffer a guess about the haziness and how can I counter it easily and cheaply. Thanks all, you've been an immense help with other matters too
I know EXACTLY what caused the haziness and how you could have prevented it.(I also know that if you had been monitoring TA your pH would not have crashed and needed so much soda ash. I also know what common household substance that you probably have in your kitchen or can buy at the grocery store will raise the TA and is exactly the same chemical as sold in the pool stores as alkalinity increaser. ) Once you do your part in participating in this forum like you have been asked I will be glad to tell you. If you want a hint this info is also in Pool School. If not I think you have some weeds that need clearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.