New pool owner from Canada

Aug 4, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey everyone,

Can't tell you how much help TFP has already been to me and my pool is still not it! :)

We are getting a IG 16 x 32 humpback kidney installed in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait for the dig to start!

Details:
16 X 32 IG
Laars/Jandy Lite2 LG gas heater (250 btu)
Zodiac DuoClear 130 salt water system
1.5 HP Jacuzzi pump
Zodiac Baracuda G4 auto cleaner (free)

I'm sure there's more details but I don't have the quote in front of me. Will definitely get a thread going for the construction with pics.

Cheers!

moonturko said:
Thank you.

Forgot to add the depth. It will be 8ft in the deep end and 3.5ft in the shallow. Comes with the standard 3 ft concrete deck which we will like extend in a few spots for an extra seating area.

3ft is pretty narrow. Not really enough room for two people to pass. If it fits your budget, you might be happier with a 4ft minimum. I have 3ft along the "back" side of my pool, and sometimes it seems like walking a tightrope when I'm putting the vacuum in the skimmer.

JohnT said:
moonturko said:
Thank you.

Forgot to add the depth. It will be 8ft in the deep end and 3.5ft in the shallow. Comes with the standard 3 ft concrete deck which we will like extend in a few spots for an extra seating area.

3ft is pretty narrow. Not really enough room for two people to pass. If it fits your budget, you might be happier with a 4ft minimum. I have 3ft along the "back" side of my pool, and sometimes it seems like walking a tightrope when I'm putting the vacuum in the skimmer.

Good point. I will eventually do landsscaping around the concrete deck will will add more walking. We will live with it as is for this season and improve the lanscaping next summer.

welcome from north Toronto.... we installed the humpback kidney last august and this is our first year with it.I love the pool and the shape allows for lots of different angles to dive into the deep end. IF I could change one thing that would be to move the stairs from the shallow end to the side of the shallow end as it makes it difficult to swim laps. We put the 3 feet of concrete around it as well and extended the area for two lounge chairs near the ladder in the deep end. We are very pleased although this summer really has sucked as far as getting some nice hot humid nestea plunge days!!!! Enjoy

I second the motion that this summer stinks. We also have the standard 3ft concrete around our pool. It seems most companies do the standard 3ft because they don't want to deal with the posibilty of cracking. It seems more likely the wider you go.

We prept the area outside our concrete for interlock(and later layed) with their equipment on the weekends. With their OK of course. Notice the screenings by the shed?

If the pictures are a little to much I will delete them. I just thought it might give you some ideas with the 3 ft of concrete. We are happy with are outcome.

Good Luck on your build.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 133
The weather has definitely not been great. What is frustrating is that since we signed the contract, it's scorching hot and will be for another week! It's torture I tell ya! haha

haybird: Nice work on the pool and yard. Looks great!

gabagoo: We did put our steps off center to make it easier for swimming laps.

I'll post some pics this week of what it looks like now before the dig starts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support