Questions about sand filters

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
Finally time to retire my 15+ year old Doughboy DE filter. Think I am going with sand because I'm tired of the headaches of my current DE setup. I have been having issues with old filter grids leaking DE into the pool. Replacements are expensive. So I am hesitant to buy a new DE filter due to the expense of replacing elements when the time comes.

Therefore I think I have settled on sand. My questions are:

1) I know that buying the largest sand filter possible will reduce maintenance by extending backwash intervals. Do I also need to buy a larger pump to go with the larger filter? The way I see it, there is more media in the filter, but the pump is sized based on the size of the pool not the size of the filter. Is this correct? I plan to upgrade pumps when this one dies. Currently I have a 1HP pump.

2) I am looking at Hayward filters as opposed to Pentair filters. Can anyone comment on one over the other? The reason I am leaning Hayward is because I seem to see wider parts availability locally. Are Pentair parts easily had over the 'net? Is the design of one better than another? The Haywards also come with 7 position multi-port. Don't know about the Pentairs.

3) Each fall, I have been annually breaking down my current DE set-up, cleaning and reassembling the filter and storing it in my shed. Sand filters don't work that way. The Model I am looking at has a "winter" setting on the multiport. Is this a reliable way to winterize a filter? I live in a climate where it does freeze over the winter and I am concerned about leaving the filter out and parts cracking because there is still water in it.

I am specifically looking at the Hayward 18 or 21 " (150 lb and 200lb) sand filters and would consider the comparable Pentair's if I can get parts easily.

Thanks for any and all advice.

I can tell you from experience that a 0.5hp hayward super pump or pentair superflo along with a Hayward s220T on a 24ft round abg will serve you quite well. I'm biased as that is my current set-up, but works very well with my solar panel and intex swg plumbed in as well. I have not backwashed in 2 months and the water is nice and sparkly and PSI is stable. Unfortunately I don;t have experience to answer your other questions, but I am sure more knowledgable folks will come along shortly.

Here's my 2¢.
1) Buy the largest filter you can. The pump can be too big fot the pool. The filter cannot!

1A) If the 1hp pump is doing a good job now I wouldn't go bigger when I replaced it unless I went with a 2-speed. Though I really like my 1-1/2hp pump. It pumps so much water that the pool has a serious current in it, which I believe helps prevent stagnation and therefore algae growth due to localized low FC spots.

2) Here I have no opnion. I have a Pentair 24" 250lb and it works great. The Pentair I have has the 7-position valve on top of it so that's not an issue. I'd say your thinking is correct. If the parts are more readily available in your area for one more than the other, I'd go with it.

3) Mine has a "winterize" setting and a drain in the bottom of the housing so you can drain all the water from it and leave it open. Having said that, I don't winterize. It only gets slightly below freezing here a couple days a year and I just run the pump during the freezing hours.

I go with at least a 24" 250lb filter if it were me. Oh yeah, that's what I did! :mrgreen:

My Pentaire 1.5 hp pump operates well, however the mounting plates that secure it to the plastic base have rusted away and cannot be replaced without replacing the motor. It is 4 years old. I don't know if current Pentaire pumps have that problem or not. When the time comes I will definitely replace it with a two speed pump of the same hp. Good luck in your search!

Well I don't have a pic of my setup but here's my water.

100_0468.jpg

100_0467.jpg

Sparkly!!!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.