Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What about floc?

1. Back To Top    #1

What about floc?

I have a bottle of floc from last summer that was sold me by the pool store for black wall algea that would not brush off.
    I drained the pool and powerwashed instead.

I now have a light geen algea forming on the walls and bottom that brushes off.
    How does floc liquid fit in with BBB?
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What about floc?

floc isn't needed and it won't kill algae. you need to read the chemistry section of pool-school/ and pool-school/defeating_algae and pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Floc can speed up the process of clearing the water after the algae is all dead, but it is useless when you still have live algae. Overall, I don't recommend floc because it doesn't always work and it can be a lot of trouble to vacuum debris to waste when it does work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

After algae is dead it takes about 3 days to floc and vacuum to waste (add floc, turn off pump 24 hour to let everything settle, vacuum to waste,filter a few hours, turn off pump. let rest settle since first time stirs a lot of it up and vacuum again) if everything goes right (it often doesn't and you have to let the pool settle with the pump off an additional day.)
    to clear out dead algae with a properly sized, working filter takes about 3-4 days. If the filter is undersized then adding a filter aid can help (DE in a sand filter, Cellusose Fiber in a Cart. If a DE filter isn't clearing the pool it's broke!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Your problem is algae, not the floc.

You need to shock your pool, something you do not something you add-see pool school

before you start to shock find out your CYA level, you may need to drain some water

post a current set of test results

Your original question has been answered but your question really does not address your problem, growing algae
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Funk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Your problem is algae, not the floc.

You need to shock your pool, something you do not something you add-see pool school

before you start to shock find out your CYA level, you may need to drain some water

post a current set of test results

Your original question has been answered but your question really does not address your problem, growing algae
    The CYA is 30 today...the green algea is clearing up slowly....PH and Alkalinity are high...I ran the pump all night....
    I have a return line leak under the cement decking (getting it detected next week)
    ....I'm adding about 200+ gals. per day running a 8 hr cycle.
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

7. Back To Top    #7

If the FC is above 10, the PH will read a false high. Retest the PH when the FC drops below 10.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com