Water Tastes Sour

JohnT said:
Judi said:
no-mas said:
Hi - Welcome to the forum!

Post a set of test results. How's the pH?

PH is almost non existant.........barely reading 6.8

Then the first step is to raise the pH to around 7.4.

We had the water tested yesterday, there was 0 Alkalinity.......we added 22 pounds and now the water is opaque.......we are backwashing the filter and i'm assuming that I now need to shock the pool?????????

Judi said:
We had the water tested yesterday, there was 0 Alkalinity.......we added 22 pounds and now the water is opaque.......we are backwashing the filter and i'm assuming that I now need to shock the pool?????????

No need to shock unless you have chlorine issues. You are just seeing the cloudiness from adding the baking soda.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Add your pool specs and equipment to your signature line so we can know what kind of pool and how big it is, type of filter, etc.

It's not clear what you are testing with....Do you have your own kit?

Is that really a CC of 4? OR is that mean to read FC or TC?

Anytime you have a CC higher than .5, you need to shock the pool. However, I would not begin shocking the pool until you lower the CYA which is way too high.

Your water is very unbalanced, if those readings are accurate.

1) you need your own test kit. Refer to the article in Pool School that compares the two kits we recommend.

2) the first thing you should do is a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA, at least 1/3 down is a good starting point. Recirculate, retest and repeat if necessary. At the very least try to get it down to 60-70.

3) begin to rebalance the other parameters. Start with PH/TA. When both are low, it's best to use Soda Ash, or "PH Up". Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not detergent) is the grocery store version, if you can find it. Use the Pool Calculator to determine dosing.

4) since you added baking soda, you need to retest these levels to get current ones.

5) Once the CYA is down, the PH/TA are in range, begin to shock the pool.

6) After everything is stable, if you have a plaster pool you can adjust calcium if necessary. Did they not test the calcium?

Hope this helps. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
First, go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Add your pool specs and equipment to your signature line so we can know what kind of pool and how big it is, type of filter, etc.

It's not clear what you are testing with....Do you have your own kit?

Is that really a CC of 4? OR is that mean to read FC or TC?

Anytime you have a CC higher than .5, you need to shock the pool. However, I would not begin shocking the pool until you lower the CYA which is way too high.

Your water is very unbalanced, if those readings are accurate.

1) you need your own test kit. Refer to the article in Pool School that compares the two kits we recommend.

2) the first thing you should do is a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA, at least 1/3 down is a good starting point. Recirculate, retest and repeat if necessary. At the very least try to get it down to 60-70.

3) begin to rebalance the other parameters. Start with PH/TA. When both are low, it's best to use Soda Ash, or "PH Up". Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not detergent) is the grocery store version, if you can find it. Use the Pool Calculator to determine dosing.

4) since you added baking soda, you need to retest these levels to get current ones.

5) Once the CYA is down, the PH/TA are in range, begin to shock the pool.

6) After everything is stable, if you have a plaster pool you can adjust calcium if necessary. Did they not test the calcium?

Hope this helps. :wink:

The pool is a 15' 52" above ground pool with an earth filter. We took the sample to our local pools supply store yesterday, who tested it and had us put in the Alkaline Plus. The combined chlorine is 4.0 we were told to shock the pool but not until we got the CY down. I just don't know how long the pool will remain cloudy???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.