Another noob with a green pool

Jul 27, 2009
New Jersey
I got home from from 10 days away and my pool is green! I have been fighting algae all summer and just switched to the BBB method 2 weeks ago.Water is Green and I can't see the bottom in the 3' end.

FC=10
TC=15
PH=7.8
Alk=100
CH=110
CYA..........Leslie pools got 45 this morning but I bought the DPD test kit and got 110 twice. After reading the instructions(I am a guy, we don't read instructions first as you all know) I may have done the test to quickly and will retest tonight. I just added 2.8 gallons of Clorox 10 minutes ago and will test the CYA and Chlorine in 2 hours and in the morning.
Am I missing anything? I know the CYA is high if I am correct but I really don't want to pump out half of my water.
HELP !!!!

P.S. I ordered a Hayward EC75 DE filter today, my sand filter is a piece of S#&T(Can I say that?)

You really really want to get your CYA under 100, and preferably much lower than that. Otherwise you are going to need to use dramatically more chlorine to make any progress at all. With CYA at 110, shock level is around 30. 2.8 gallons of bleach isn't going to get you anywhere near an FC of 30, and therefore will just be wasted if you don't follow up with lots more chlorine very soon.

I have the FC @ 20 and I just added another 182 oz of bleach. I will check the pool chemistry in the am.
I also retested the CYA and it was 90.
Its a little tricky as the black dot goes away but if you move you can kinda see it, sort of subjective to a point. Still way to high. Plan is to kill the algae, vacuum to waste and replace about 1/3 of the water. Thoughts??

TRazzNJ said:
I also retested the CYA and it was 90.
Its a little tricky as the black dot goes away but if you move you can kinda see it, sort of subjective to a point. Still way to high. Plan is to kill the algae, vacuum to waste and replace about 1/3 of the water. Thoughts??
If you can kinda see it then it's not fully obscured; add a little bit more to the view tube. Yes it's very subjective.

If you're not doing this already... Try testing a sample that's 1/2 pool water 1/2 tap water. Then double the result. It'll be more in the range the test was designed for, so it should be easier to get a reading.

And ditto what FPM said.
--paulr

Vacuumed pool to waste and drained 1/3 to lower CYA. Refilling now and have no test kit. I returned the kit I bought at Leslies yesturday and I ordered the TF100 today. Any idea how long they take to ship?? I need it bad, pool still green but lighter.
Should I ad bleach tonight after pool is full? Last CC test I did showed about 40(dilution test) but the algae isnt turning gray? I put in 5 182 ox jugs of clorox last night this morning the CC dilution test was off the chart. It could have been 50 as the color was at the 5 and i diluted 9 to 1.
Still a noob in trouble.

TF Test Kits normally ships very quickly. I guess that you will have the test kit around the end of the week.

If the CC level is high you need to continue at shock level.

I suspect that you still have live algae, though it is difficult to be sure. Algae doesn't always turn gray when it is dead, but it usually does. Still, shocking usually takes at least a couple of days, and you only lowered the CYA level today, so I wouldn't expect the algae to all be dead just yet.

I wouldn't bother with the algaecide. Algaecide is not very effective when you have a major algae problem, it is more effective as a preventative.

Thanks for the help !! Should I use the Algaecide after I get the pool straightened out?? I wanted to use the BBB method exclusively but since I have it, is it worth using? Also, I have alot of trees in my yard and get lot of leaves and pollen. Does this contribute to algae problems? I have an EC75 Hayward filter coming tomorrow and I am hoping it solves my clarity problem that I believe is caused by all of the leaves and pollen.

Thanks again for all of the help !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
one of the tenants of BBB is not putting anything in your water that doesn't need to be there. that algaecide is walmart algaecide, so take it for what it's worth. I used to buy it too. it will cause foaming in your water and is totally unnecessary if you follow the methods outlined here, specifically this chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

leaves and pollen are organic matters that chlorine will have to work to kill, so your pool may take more chlorine than an average pool. I would test a couple times a day when you get your tf100 just to make sure you aren't dropping below your minimum fc level per the chart, and it will help you get to know your pool quicker.

Wow.....This forum rocks!!! Sunday, pool so green that I swear I saw turtles in it! Today, Clear(slight cloud) but no green !!! :whoot: Thanks a million for all the help! I will never, and I mean NEVER go to a pool store again. BBB is for me!!
CYA is now 50 on a test strip(TF-100 didn't arrive yet, will post numbers tomorrow)Chlorine is very high and now that the CYA is low I can smell it. Is that typical??
BTW, Last night at 11pm I fired up my new Hayward EC75 DE filter. By 6am, the pool was almost clear and I had to "bump" the filter. What an incredible filter. I don't know how you all with sand filters get your water clear but in my yard with my trees and my leaves I could not. I would recommend this filter to anyone!! Its been running for about 18 hours and my pool is as clear as the sand filter ever got it. I would bet by tomorrow morning it will be sparkling.

Thanks again everyone. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.