Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pooping doggie terrorist

1. Back To Top    #1

pooping doggie terrorist

My brilliant and well-loved dog, Spot, did something bizarre last night. Hunched over the side and dropped a (small) loaf in the pool. I scooped it out right away, brought the FC to shock level and ran the pump all night and today.

Is it safe to swim once the FC drops to what I consider tolerable? Or do I need to shock longer? If the latter, are there any rules for this sort of thing?

This is a first for me. I don't really think she's a terrorist. I'm starting to think that at pushing 13 she's starting to go a bit looney, which is fine with me BTW. She's a great dog ... most of the time.

Thanks, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pooping doggie terrorist

I don't have a clue to the answer to your problem.....but your thread title should win an award!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    My brilliant and well-loved dog, Spot, did something bizarre last night. Hunched over the side and dropped a (small) loaf in the pool. I scooped it out right away, brought the FC to shock level and ran the pump all night and today.
    {wiping off the monitor} I think someone is jealous of the attention the pool is getting!

That is not easy, you know, hunching and aiming and getting it in without falling in also.... that is one really peeved dog.

So, has Spot been the Alpha Dog in the home? or does he just think that The Pool has replaced him in your affection?

Maybe you need to go yell at the pool once in awhile, get mad at it, and tell it is a Bad Pool. Then go play with you Good Dog and show him you love him since *he* behaves.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

IMO ... if the "gift" didnt stay in the water for long and you shocked right away you should be ok. If your unsure shock it again to be safe ....
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with ALL of the above posts

Poor Spot, why didn't Gary give you that treat?.............

b/t/w We have an alpha dog, 7 lb., 11YO yorkie, Bubba. So far he does not care for the pool.....
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry for the belated "thanks" for your replies. Pool is back in service and all is well. But one of your messages requires a bit more of a response, I think.

Dear anonaperson (do you mind if I call you "anona"),

I had my wife read your reply and she got a huge laugh out of it, albeit at my expense. She agrees that the pool and the dog are the most spoiled women in my life, and therefore loved your analysis.

I thought of the "Bad Pool" strategy and rejected it. All I need is for the pool AND the dog to be ticked at me. I've been having bad dreams about algae blooms, leaks and whatever else might happen once I make the pool mad, too. Sorry, but that's just a bad idea. No offense intended.

I decided on a different approach. Spot is not usually allowed in the living room, which looks out over the pool, but I put a blanket down and am letting her sit next to me while I watch the Rays lose yet another one. With the pool watching, of course.

So far the pool hasn't seemed to mind too much, and Spot enjoys looking out the sliders while sticking her tongue out at the pool. Or maybe she's just breathing like a dog. I don't know and she ain't sayin'.

I know ... too much information. I get that a lot.

Cheers, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    I thought of the "Bad Pool" strategy and rejected it. All I need is for the pool AND the dog to be ticked at me. I've been having bad dreams about algae blooms, leaks and whatever else might happen once I make the pool mad, too.
    LOL -- you're gonna have to let all the women in your life know just who is in charge.... Your Wife! right?

Actually, pretty soon you will have to pool so undercontrol that you'll be trying to teach the dog tricks to keep you amused.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.