1 hp Wisperflow pump - hair in the impeller

Aug 4, 2009
Everytime I clean the strainer basket on the 1 hp Wisperflow I find hair in the impeller. Its hard to get to, but if I stick my fingers into the inlet of the impeller I can drag a glob or two out. It took a while when the pump was new to figure out why the flow had dropped off. Now if I see that pump basket is relatively free of debris but the flow is down I know there is hair that has gone by the basket.

Does anyone else have the problem. Does anyone have a good solution.

Terry

You could use a skimmer sock. But if you have main drains, I don't know what to do about them.
I also read somewhere if you have people with long hair in the pool, have them band it in a pony tail up high and again down lower. I have short hair so I'm not too familiar with any of that :)
One of the experts will be along soon.

Or convince your long haired swimmer that a swim cap can protect their hair from chlorine.

I think the new ones are not as terrible to get on as the old ones, but I am really guessing.

The pool is in an RV park so the problem is we don't have the same people swimming everyday. I was hoping to find a better basket or something.

I'm wondering if I would put a couple of nylon shower scrubbies in the basket if they would catch the hair?

Terry

I have the same problem. My wife hair and the hair of my guests with long hair all find their way to my pump. First I'll notice a drop in pressure, beneath my clean filter mark, then if there is a lot of hair in there the pump will sound a bit different. I don't normally use skimmer socks, because of the hassle, but I started using them again to address the hair issue, they catch a small percentage of the hair, the majority goes in the main drain. I have no other option than to cram by hand in there once a week or so and try to get out what I can. I can only reach the impeller with a single finger, but can manage to get out all that I can feel.

Oh yes back in the 60's ?? I remember it well. I was visiting parents in Florida a few years ago at a retirement condo. All the old ladies in the pool wore bathing/shower caps. Father-in-law called them Q-tips. All you could see were these white dots bobbing up and down in the pool! :)

Terry

notvaporlocked said:
Oh yes back in the 60's ?? I remember it well. I was visiting parents in Florida a few years ago at a retirement condo. All the old ladies in the pool wore bathing/shower caps. Father-in-law called them Q-tips. All you could see were these white dots bobbing up and down in the pool! :)

Terry
That cracks me up... :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.