Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 hp Wisperflow pump - hair in the impeller

1. Back To Top    #1

1 hp Wisperflow pump - hair in the impeller

Everytime I clean the strainer basket on the 1 hp Wisperflow I find hair in the impeller. Its hard to get to, but if I stick my fingers into the inlet of the impeller I can drag a glob or two out. It took a while when the pump was new to figure out why the flow had dropped off. Now if I see that pump basket is relatively free of debris but the flow is down I know there is hair that has gone by the basket.

Does anyone else have the problem. Does anyone have a good solution.

Terry
    25k gal painted concrete, 1hp Pentair Wisperflo pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Stingl Safety vacume relief system. Pool Solutions PS232 FAS/DPD test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 hp Wisperflow pump - hair in the impeller

You could use a skimmer sock. But if you have main drains, I don't know what to do about them.
    I also read somewhere if you have people with long hair in the pool, have them band it in a pony tail up high and again down lower. I have short hair so I'm not too familiar with any of that
    One of the experts will be along soon.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Or convince your long haired swimmer that a swim cap can protect their hair from chlorine.

I think the new ones are not as terrible to get on as the old ones, but I am really guessing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is in an RV park so the problem is we don't have the same people swimming everyday. I was hoping to find a better basket or something.

I'm wondering if I would put a couple of nylon shower scrubbies in the basket if they would catch the hair?

Terry
    25k gal painted concrete, 1hp Pentair Wisperflo pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Stingl Safety vacume relief system. Pool Solutions PS232 FAS/DPD test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the same problem. My wife hair and the hair of my guests with long hair all find their way to my pump. First I'll notice a drop in pressure, beneath my clean filter mark, then if there is a lot of hair in there the pump will sound a bit different. I don't normally use skimmer socks, because of the hassle, but I started using them again to address the hair issue, they catch a small percentage of the hair, the majority goes in the main drain. I have no other option than to cram by hand in there once a week or so and try to get out what I can. I can only reach the impeller with a single finger, but can manage to get out all that I can feel.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Remember the old days when they wouldn't let you in the pool with long hair without a cap?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh yes back in the 60's ?? I remember it well. I was visiting parents in Florida a few years ago at a retirement condo. All the old ladies in the pool wore bathing/shower caps. Father-in-law called them Q-tips. All you could see were these white dots bobbing up and down in the pool!

Terry

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by notvaporlocked
    Oh yes back in the 60's ?? I remember it well. I was visiting parents in Florida a few years ago at a retirement condo. All the old ladies in the pool wore bathing/shower caps. Father-in-law called them Q-tips. All you could see were these white dots bobbing up and down in the pool!

Terry
    That cracks me up...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.