leak at pump outlet/diverter valve to cart. tank/cleaner

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I noticed a leak where the cartridge side of the diverter valve is dripping, circled in green, http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... 0820-1.jpg. The diverter valve is attached to the pump outlet and the valve Ts flow to the cartridge tank on one side and the cleaner line on the other, http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... G_0822.jpg.

I am a pool newbie who started out with no leaks a few months ago and just noticed this yesterday. Is this a major issue that needs to be addressed asap, or can it wait until the weekend? I believe I can tackle a project like this with some advice from you guys. I assume I am going to need to replace the valve and use pvc couplings to reinstall? Are there any specific types of glue, pipe, etc. for pool applications?

Pump is a Jandy Stealth 1.5hp SHPF.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!! BOTH of you :handshake:

Are you sure it's the glued connection and not the lid leaking? (looks like 2 screws are missing in the second photo, right where the circle is in the first)

Since it looks like an 1 1/2" valve that they glued 2" pipe onto, I'm thinking the valve's body isn't cracked - as long as you're not loosing a couple inches of water / day - you should be good to wait until this weekend to make the repair.

As long as the valve isn't cracked - this could be an inexpensive and easy fix :wink:

BTW - 'Ted' is a VERY serviceable name :lol:

Well, you were close. The screws are there, but the 2 screws in question was were the leak was. It was the illusion of a leaky union. I tightened them down and walla...no leak, for now. I assume I will need to get some fresh screws and a new o-ring for the valve.

**UPDATE**

Jandy is great. The 3-way valve is a NeverLube with lifetime warranty. All I did was email them, no questions asked. See below:

Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:47 AM
To:
Subject: leaking neverlube valve

Dear Ed,

We are writing in response to your recent request received via electronic mail regarding a Valve. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

We apologize for the problem you're experiencing. I have placed an order for new o-rings and cover for your valve. Your order number for reference is 847801. Hope this helps!

Your satisfaction with your Jandy product is very important to us. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach a customer service representative Monday through Friday between the hours of 5:00am - 5:00pm (PST) at our toll-free number: (800) 822-7933. You can also send an email via our website 24/7: http://www.jandy.com

Regards,
My 3-way NeverLube valve is leaking at the valve housing screws. It is a steady drip coming from 3 of the screws. Being this product has a lifetime warranty, can you advice me on how to get this fixed asap? I assume one of the o-rings is leaking:

Valve cover o-ring
Valve shaft o-ring

Pump pressure is operating in normal range, ~19psi filter tank pressure.

Ted, valve cover o-ring would be my first bet :wink: Of course the screws (8) may just need to be tightened - as I said above, it looked like a couple were missing and if they had been removed and not properly tightened down, the o- ring may still be good :) (if the entire top was removed there is a chance that the o- ring got pinched on reinstallation :cry: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.